The Chaplaincy Service seeks to nurture and care for the spiritual dimension of each member of the University community. The Chaplains offer a range of liturgical, pastoral, advisory, social, and recreational activities and services to all students and staff of NUI Galway.
What we do
The Chaplains offer a broad range of services, activities and opportunities including
- A confidential and respectful listening and advisory service for all students and staff within and outside normal office hours
- Pastoral care for those who have particular needs and difficulties (bereavement, loneliness, illness, relationship breakdown etc)
- A liaison and referral facility between students and the various University academic and non-academic departments and services
- Promotion of ecumenism on and off campus and the provision of resources and contact information for all the major religious denominations
- A full range of liturgical, sacramental and social opportunities in the Chapel of St. Columbanus
- Summer volunteering projects in developing countries
- Numerous events and activities that seek to explore, celebrate and develop the spiritual dimension of human existence
- Co-ordination of the University response to a student death.
- Church of Ireland: Rev. Gary Hastings 91 521914
- Methodist/Presbyterian: Rev. Helen Freeburn 086 328 456
- Baptist Church: Rev. Denis Jacob 091 596944
- Reformed Presbyterian Church: Rev. Raymond Blair 091 763437
- Galway Christian Fellowship: Mr. Stephen Kenny 091 752 989
- Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)Richard, 087 2375 789
- Luthern Church firstname.lastname@example.org, 01 676 6548
- Galway Islamic Centre ,email@example.com , 091 751 621, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Judaism, email@example.com
Mass in the Chapel of St. Columbanus
- Sunday 1pm and 9pm
- Monday to Friday 1.10pm
Note: Mass is celebrated only during term-time.
Weddings on Campus
Students, staff and graduates of NUI, Galway are most welcome to get married in the Chapel of St. Columbanus as long as all civil and canon law requirements are fulfilled. Some space, parking and calendar restrictions also apply.
For further information on planning a wedding see http://www.gettingmarried.ie/
Because the Chapel is not a University building and is entirely self-supporting, a donation is requested towards running costs (heat, light, insurance, maintenance etc) from those who get married here.
If you have any questions or if you want to book the Chapel for your wedding please contact us.
Meet the Chaplains
Fr. Barry Horan
After secondary school in St. Mary's College, Galway, he studied one year of Commerce here at NUI,Galway before entering seminary at Maynooth. Since his ordination for the Diocese of Galway in 1999, he has served in Gort Community School, University College Hospital (Merlin Park), Galway Marriage Tribunal, and assisted in the parishes of Gort, Galway Cathedral, Ros Muc and Knocknacara.
Fr. Patrick O Donohue
Patrick is from Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare. He is a priest of the Diocese of Galway. He was ordained in 2010 and this is his first appointment
Ms. Dolores McAndrews, Administrative Assistant
Dolores is from Galway City has worked with the Chaplaincy since 1997.
Find out more
T 353 91 495282
T 353 91 495055
T 353 91 492484
T 353 91 492048
T 353 91 492604 or 495637