Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Pobal na Gaeilge agus na Gaeltachta
Ár bhFís maidir le Pobal na Gaeilge agus na Gaeltachta
Timpeallacht fhuinniúil ardoideachais a chur ar fáil atá fréamhaithe sa Ghaeilge agus san oidhreacht chultúir lena mbaineann
Our Vision for Pobal na Gaeilge agus na Gaeltachta
To provide a dynamic higher education environment rooted in the Irish language and its cultural heritage
- Reform language acquisition programmes to ensure Irish language competence is a distinctive NUI Galway graduate attribute
- Consolidate and enhance our position as the primary national provider of post-primary Initial Teacher Education (ITE) through the medium of Irish
- Use our unique Gaeltacht infrastructure to become the primary centre for Language Immersion Programmes in ITE nationally
- Increase placement opportunities for students in Gaeltacht enterprises, media and language-based organisations, thereby supporting economic development in our region
- Reorganise Acadamh na hOllscolaíochta Gaeilge to augment long-term provision for teaching through Irish at undergraduate level
- Develop an annual programme of social, cultural and scholarly events to establish and maintain linguistic networks across the University and its campuses
- Reinforce institutional expertise in Irish language, literature and culture, and foreground the University as a centre for Irish language-based scholarship
- Monitor the implementation of our Scéim Teanga in close collaboration with Oifig an Choimisinéara Teanga and the Department of Arts, Culture and Heritage
- Introduce flexible and innovative pathways for staff, students and graduates to enhance their language competency through accredited programmes, such as An Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge
Measures of Success
- Phased increases in the number of Irish language-based modules available as part of undergraduate programmes in the College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Celtic Studies
- 175 post-primary teachers trained for the Irish-medium sector by 2020
- 4000 ITE students on Language Immersion Programmes in the University’s Gaeltacht centres over the period of the Plan
- Structured 60-ECTS Gaeltacht semester and work placement programme available to NUI Galway students by 2016 as part of a new four-year Irish language degree
- Structured 30-ECTS Gaeltacht semester available to students in other higher education institutions by 2017
- Acadamh na hOllscolaíochta Gaeilge integrated within the College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Celtic Studies
- Appointment of a Strategic Co-ordinator for Irish language awareness activities