Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Adult Learning and Teaching (Masters)
With increased demands for effective management of learning environments and an increased focus on online and eLearning, the field of teaching, training, education and learning constantly presents practitioner challenges. Professional effectiveness in the field demands a knowledge, skills and competence base that is underscored by an understanding of the practical implications and considerations of a complex learning environment and a skill set capable of responding to unpredictable demands.
The Master of Arts in Adult Learning and Teaching is designed to afford teachers who have successfully completed the Professional Diploma in Education (Further Education) to progress their studies. Through the RPL process, students will be awarded a 30 ECTS exemption for advanced entry to the MA on successful completion of the PDE(FE) or equivalent.
Applications and Selections
Early application is advised as offers will be made on a rolling basis. A limited number of applications may be accepted after the official application closing date, subject to the availability of places.
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
Attendance at workshops and tutorials forms an integral part of the course.
Assessment includes written assignments, group projects, online discussions and learning journal reflections.
- Academic (essential): You must have achieved a minimum of a H2.2 honours degree in the Professional Diploma in Education (Further Education) or equivalent teaching qualification award (NFQ Level 8/60 ECTS).
- Technological: You must have computer proficiency and access to the internet.
- Experiential: You are expected to have a minimum of three years’ experience in teaching in the FET sector or other relevant experience.
You may be required to attend for interview prior to being offered a place on the course. The number of places will be restricted.
1 year, part-time
Next start date
A Level Grades ()
Next start date
Mode of study
Master of Arts
The Master of Arts in Adult Learning and Teaching is intended to give teachers the opportunity to:
- Respond to management and leadership demands to effectively implement a learning environment strategy that considers relevant and up-to-date developments in an ever-evolving environment
- Engage with the online learning environment by exploring the pedagogy and practice of developing, managing and monitoring online learning to become effective e-Learning professionals
- Develop a research capacity that promotes systematic intellectual inquiry, critical analysis and problem solving skills in the uncovering of new knowledge and practice in the field of adult learning and teaching
- Take responsibility for recognising and acting on the ongoing requirements to maintain professional standards within the teaching profession in the Further Education and Training sector.
Social Science Research (10 ECTS)
Social Science Research explores the principles and skills relating to planning and designing research, developing a literature review and preparing survey strategies. It examines in detail the nature of inquiry, qualitative and quantitative methods of research based on philosophical assumptions and applied to different research questions.
Management and Leadership in Training and Education (10 ECTS)
Management and Leadership in Training and Education explores key concepts of management and leadership to provide a foundation for implementing strategic objectives in training and educational contexts. Management and leadership competencies, innovation management, programme management and leadership perspectives are studied to underpin development of a successful learning environment.
Online Learning Design (10 ECTS)
Online Learning Design focuses on pedagogical concepts and instructional design models that are fundamental to designing and developing an online learning environment. It examines pedagogical, technical and practical issues that affect the development of effective online learning environments and the issues relating to managing and monitoring online learning activities, assessment and evaluation.
Dissertation (30 ECTS)
Participants completing the Master of Arts in Adult Learning and Teaching must complete a research based dissertation.
Why Choose This Course?
Who’s Suited to This Course
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
A fees scholarship of up to 30% may be available for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment. Students must be registered as unemployed and in receipt of one of the following:
- Job-seekers Benefit
- Job-seekers Allowance
- One-parent family allowance
- Disability allowance
- Community Employment Scheme
- Carer’s Allowance
- Signing for social insurance contribution credits
Please download the 2017_18 Fees Scholarship Form CALPD for more information.
Find out More
Phone: 091 494061/494055
ATES Postgraduate Courses Brochure PDF (300 KB)
ATES Undergraduate Courses Brochure PDF (300 KB)
ATES Short Courses Brochure PDF (300 KB)
Adult Learning Prospectus PDF (3.4 MB)
Postgraduate Taught Prospectus 2018 PDF (7.2 MB)
Postgraduate Research Prospectus 2018 PDF (4.6 MB)
Diploma Series Brochure PDF (1.6 MB)
Short Courses Series 2017 PDF (1.4 MB)