Galway-based, mother-of-two and NUI Galway graduate Ann Brehony has just launched the essential family holiday helper through her first digital mobile app in the App Store. The app Ireland: Are We There Yet?was released through a publishing deal with an American digital travel publisher Sutro Media.
Featuring over 130 places to visit in Ireland with kids, this app provides families with an invaluable tool that will keep everyone happy on daytrips or holidays. Covering the country both North and South with new ways of seeing old favourites like the Rock of Cashel and The Giant’s Causeway plus a host of new attractions as diverse as Aunt Sandra’s Candy Factory in Belfast or a Toy Soldier Factory in Cork.
On explaining the origin of the idea, author and creator Ann Brehony, said: “As part of my MA in Publishing at NUI Galway, I had to complete a business plan for an innovative new publishing venture. I produced a plan for an online travel guide for families on holiday in Ireland called 'Are We There Yet?' The course tutors were very encouraging about my idea and suggested it was something I should pursue on graduation. They helped me shape a business analysis framework for my thesis and this framework allowed me to investigate cutting-edge digital publishing models from around the world which then led me to explore the mobile app route for my idea, from there it really took off and within nine months of graduating I had secured a publishing deal.”
Ms Brehony added: “As a mother of two, I know how important it is to keep kids amused and engaged while on daytrips or holidays, if they’re happy then we’re all happy! It was a real labour of love and the kids and I had such a great time discovering the many gems on offer around the country.”
Publishers Sutro Media say “This app is like the local cousin you never knew you had! It has sussed the best ways to visit Ireland with kids so you don't have to do the legwork. This app is written with genuine insight, humour and charm and is packed with places to go and things to do with kids on holiday in Ireland.”
Highlights of the app include:
- County-by-county listings of family-friendly attractions complete with car games and scavenger hunts to keep the kids amused on the go
- A full nationwide listing of free outdoor play areas.
- Filled with wonderful photography, each entry has links to websites and YouTube clips giving background information on all the local colour needed to plan a successful stress-free visit.
- The app links you into a whole community of other app users who can share their tips and experiences.
- A treasure-trove of quirky hints on how to find a song for every county, the best local sweets to try and handy pit stops for long journeys.
- Perfect for keeping the kids amused without breaking the bank during the mid-term break.
- Constantly updated and available on the go on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
The app costs €2.39, £1.79, $2.99 and is published by Sutro Media.