Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
May Academics rewarded for Teaching Excellence at NUI Galway
Academics rewarded for Teaching Excellence at NUI Galway
Teaching excellence at NUI Galway was celebrated at a special ceremony, where awards were presented to staff members for outstanding efforts in teaching.
The President’s Awards for Teaching Excellence and the College Awards for Teaching Excellence recognise the commitment of teaching staff who strive to ensure students at the University receive the best learning experience.
Professor Ó hÓgartaigh said: “Today’s event is an important event in the University’s calendar. It is about recognising, demonstrating our appreciation, and rewarding the very significant teaching contributions made by our staff.
“Excellence is a core strategic value of NUI Galway with an objective to respect and support the ambition of our students and staff and these awards recognise and celebrate that pledge. On behalf of the University community, I want to commend the recipients for their commitment to enriching the student learning experience, particularly during the recent times of using remote learning, alternative and innovative technologies to engage with our students.”
Recipients of the 2022 President’s Awards for Teaching Excellence:
- Dr John Murray, School of Natural Sciences
- Ms Ursula Connolly, School of Law
- Dr Rónán Kennedy, School of Law
- Dr Lindsay Myers, School of Languages, Literature and Culture
2022 College Awards for Teaching Excellence:
College of Business, Public Policy and Law:
- Dr Rónán Kennedy; Dr Sheila Malone; Ursula Connolly
College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Celtic Studies
- Dr Lindsay Myers; Dr Richard Hull; Dr Su-Ming Khoo
College of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- Dr Leo Quinlan; Dr Sharon Glynn; Dr Yvonne Finn
College of Science and Engineering
- Dr Attracta Brennan; Dr Eoghan Clifford; Dr John Murray
Deputy President and Registrar, Professor Pól Ó Dochartaigh, said: “Inspirational teaching has always been a key feature of the learning experience at NUI Galway and I wish to congratulate both those receiving College Awards and the winners of the President’s Awards - it is a tremendous recognition of your commitment to enriching the student learning experience. I would also like to congratulate the awardees from 2019/20 and 2021 who were nominated and recognised during the pandemic. It is wonderful to be able to mark your excellence over the last two years.
“All winners this year and over the previous two years demonstrated a passion for teaching, evidenced strongly by outstanding student feedback on their teaching methods and approaches.”
The Teaching Excellence ceremony also celebrated the 2021 and 2020 awardees, who were announced during online events during the pandemic.
2021 President’s Awards for Teaching Excellence
- Dr Giuseppe Zurlo, College of Science and Engineering; Dr Eamon Ó Cofaigh, College of Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies; Dr Lorraine Morgan, College of Business, Public Policy and Law; and Dr Maeve O’Rourke, College of Business Public Policy and Law
Team Award: Dr Katrina Lacey and Professor Gerard Wall, College of Science and Engineering
2019/20 President’s Awards for Teaching Excellence
- Professor Mary Dempsey, College of Science and Engineering; Dr Aisling McCluskey, College of Science and Engineering; Professor Frances McCormack, College of Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies; and Dr Ella Murphy, College of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Team Award: Therese Conway, Mike Hynes, and Professor Frances Fahy, College of Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies