Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
What we do
Welcome to the Office of the Secretary to NUI Galway
Gearóid Ó Conluain, Rúnaí na hOllscoile
Oifig an Rúnaí provides governance and legal oversight for the University. An Rúnaí, Gearóid Ó Conluain, is the chief governance and compliance officer of NUI Galway, a member of the University Management Team whose role is to support Údarás na hOllscoile and the wider University in ensuring compliance with legal, statutory and regulatory requirements. He is empowered to carry out the functions of his office by University Statute CCCXV of 2010.
An Rúnaí handles legal and regulatory correspondence for the University on a corporate level and interfaces on behalf of the University with Government Departments and state agencies on these matters. He organises and convenes the meetings of the University’s governing authority, Údaras na hOllscoile, and the Standing and Strategic Planning Committee of the University.
In addition, the office of An Rúnaí is responsible for ensuring that NUI Galway fulfils its unique role in relation to the furtherance and development of the Irish language and culture and contributing to strategic oversight of regional development. Both of these endeavours are identified in NUI, Galway's Strategic Plan, as being of fundamental importance.
What We Do
The office of An Rúnaí provides oversight in relation to legal matters affecting the University, ensuring that the University complies with legislative and regulatory requirements. The Office also advises the University on litigation, industrial relations, data protection, data security, and internal dispute resolution.
Some of the specific issues which the office manages and coordinates include:
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Administrative Services– sealing of University documents; correspondence with the Higher Education Authority, Government Departments, the Irish Universities Association and various Government Agencies
- Oversight of Compliance with the Universities Act 1997
- Compliance with established NUI Galway statutes and preparation of new statutes
- Oversight of the University’s legal affairs as they pertain to contracts and litigation, Data Protection, Freedom of Information, Ethics in Public Office and other Acts
- Oversight of the implementation of the University Scéim Teanga as required under the Official Languages Act 2003
- Oversight of aspects of the University’s contribution to Regional Development in the West and North-West
- Administrative oversight and support of Údarás na hOllscoile and the University Standing and Strategic Planning Committee
- Oversight of actions arising from Internal Audit and University Risk Management