Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
Research & Innovation
Research & Innovation
NUI Galway’s vibrant research community take on some of the most pressing challenges of our times.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Raise your profile
Build your brand on campus
Here at the Career Development Centre we offer plenty of opportunities for you to connect with our talented students and graduates!
This academic year we have been providing all services remotely and while we can't directly replicate the employer engagement opportunities we usually offer, we've thought critically and carefully about our approach. We've reconceptualised our plans and can provide you with an innovative offer supported by robust platforms and our expert teams, curating the right engagement for you.
Throughout 2021/2022 there are many other engagement opportunities outside of this key event. These are outlined below:
Employer of the Week
We are delighted to offer you new opportunities to engage with students virtually. Your online engagement package will be designed in collaboration with and managed and promoted by the Career Development Centre.
Limited number of slots – 1 employer per week.
Includes targeted emails to specific cohorts and 3 engagement opportunities below:
- Live student engagement event on the NUI Galway VLE or one of the Career Development Centre social media channels
- Guest blog on the “Get hired” series on the Career Development Centre blog.
- Feature your company content across all Career Development centre social media channels and the student dashboard on Careers Connect portal.
Over the past 3 years employers have supported NUI Galway students to develop their skills through facilitating skills workshops on a range of topics. These workshops give credit to students completing our Employability Award.
The Career Development Centre will organise, host and promote the skills workshops to students.
These workshops will be hosted on our Zoom platform and are an ideal way for you to engage with students.
Skills workshops on the following topics are particularly welcome:
- Presentation skills
- Business communication
- Problem solving skills
- IT skills (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote)
- Career resilience
- Interview skills
- CVs and applications
- Using social media in job searches
- Using LinkedIn
- Branding yourself/Building your brand
Please contact us if you would like to support our students to develop their skills by facilitating a skills workshop.
Design your own event on your preferred platform
Running your own online event? Send us the details including how students can participate. We will promote this for you on our events listing and will include it in our weekly email to final year and postgraduate taught students. Note this is a general email and is not targeted to specific classes.
Please contact us if you have an event that you would like us to include on our Careers Connect calendar and in our general email. Provide us with the information in plenty of time preferably at least 3 weeks in advance of the event.
On campus activities
When government guidelines permit, we will resume on campus activities such as the following:
We organise a number of sector-specific Job Markets for students during the academic year.
Employers can book a stand and network with students in an informal and relaxed setting in a central location on campus.
Job Markets will give you the opportunity to talk to a large number of students, promoting upcoming events or any vacancy opportunities you might have and raising your company's profile on campus considerably and effectively. We would anticipate that these events would replace individual company presentations.
Our Job Markets are free of charge.
Testimonials from companies who participated previously:‘The Job Market was a great success and a perfect opportunity for our company to speak with students from NUIG. The experience was very positive as we interacted with over 50 enthusiastic students’ ‘I met a lot of really interesting, motivated students... I’ve narrowed the requirements of what I’m looking for, I’ve had contact with the NUIG placement office, so I’m hopeful of being in a position to give a suitable candidate work. The Marketplace style of the event was fantastic’.
Host a career focused workshop or participate in a seminar
Careers run many seminars, workshops during the year, as well as being involved in Careers Education modules on certain programmes. For example,
- general and targeted workshops are available e.g., CV workshop during Engineers week
- industry insights as part of our involvement with Skills for Worklife programme for BComm
- our seminars give insights into working in a particular sector (e.g., Careers in Media) and can take the form of brief presentations about a number of careers and/or a discussion panel with Q&A. We are particularly interested in having alumni of NUI Galway participate in these seminars. Tell your own career story - typical working day - the future - your thoughts - advice on tips for entry - Q&A - network with students.
Be a CV reviewer and/or mock interviewer
As part of some of our Careers Education modules and placement preparation, we may hold 1-1 CV reviews and/or individual mock interviews with students and give constructive feedback.
We are always interested in having HR professionals from a related industry take part as it gives the student an invaluable learning experience.
Raise your brand awareness by sponsoring a career event, resource or publication. Take the opportunity to partner with the Career Development Centre through strategic sponsorship.
Company sponsorship could include:
- Door prizes at careers fairs and publication printing of fair brochures and event listings.
- Prize for careers event attendance (related to your industry).
- Prizes or awards for best final year project, best performance in final exams or on the basis of other college based achievements. These are arranged with the specific academic discipline.
Contact us now to express your interest in participation in any of the above.