Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Classics resources online
The Internet provides access to vast libraries of information. The quality of content can be variable, however, and information on the Internet (as with anywhere else) needs to be approached critically and used appropriately. This page provides a guide to some recommended websites.
In some cases, you may only be able to gain access via the Library catalogue (after logging on).
Links may stop working when external websites are changed. (Last checked 27 August 2014.)
See also the Library's Subject Support for Classics.
1. General reference
2. Scholarly literature
3. Art and archaeology
5. Language resources
6. Manuscripts collections
6.1 Individual libraries
7. Associations and institutes
1. GENERAL REFERENCE
- Oxford Classical Dictionary (4th ed., 2012)
The fundamental English-language reference work for Classical studies. In 2013 we invested in the electronic version of the new, fourth edition. This can be accessed either directly via the link above or off-campus via the library catalogue (requiring library log in).
A very good source for general reference. There is a subject search for Classics, though a general search can sometimes produce results just as interesting.
Wikipedia is a wonderful resource for general reference and for basic information about a topic. It is not reliable enough to be cited in academic work, however.
- Dictionary of Irish Biography
- Greek Mythology Link
Various resources on Greek myth.
An excellent collection of resources relating to the Mediterranean in ancient and medieval times, in French.
- Myth Index
Dictionary of Greek (and Roman) mythology, with references to sources, illustrated with modern European paintings.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Theoi: Greek Mythology
Good visual resources and excellent encyclopedia entries referenced against primary sources.
- Der Neue Pauly
2. SCHOLARLY LITERATURE
Huge collection of out-of-copyright books, mostly pre-c. 1900.
Large collection of articles from scholarly journals.
- Biblioteca di Archeologia e Storia dell’Arte
Digital archive of 19th and early 20th century journals relating to Italian archaeology.
- Bibliography of Irish Linguistics and Literature
- Brepolis databases
Access to the Bibliography of British and Irish History and the International Medieval Bibliography (IMB).
- TOCS-IN: Tables of Contents of Journals of Interest to Classicists
3. ART AND ARCHAEOLOGY
Database and image library for the German Archaeological Institute (DAI) and the Archaeological Institute of the University of Cologne.
- ArtLex: Mesopotamian Art
Huge range of prints and engravings, from the "Illustrated Bartsch" collection.
- Beazley Archive
Image library for an extensive collection of art from ancient Greece and Rome.
- Bridgeman Art Library
Excellent source for images, requiring (free) sign-in.
- British Museum: Explore (Ancient) Cultures
- Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum
Corpus of Ancient Vases.
- Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae (France)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
See also: Digital Collections from the Thomas J. Watson Library
- Web Gallery of Art
Good first port of call for studying any artist.
- Bibliotheca Augustana
Excellent collection of ancient and medieval texts.
- Bibliotheca Latina IntraText
- Brepolis databases
Access to the Archive of Celtic-Latin Literature (ACCL), Library of Latin Texts (LLT-A), Monumenta Germaniae Historica (MGH). The Cross-Database Searchtool allows for searching across all of these.
Many medieval Irish texts, also in translation.
- Corpus Grammaticorum Latinorum
- Corpus Inscriptionum Latinorum
- Digital Monumenta Germaniae Historica (MGH)
- Early Church Fathers
Useful collection of hard-to-find texts in translation, including the Chronicle of Jerome.
- Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature (ETCSL)
Excellent scholarly corpus of Sumerian texts. Browse the translations.
- LacusCurtius: Intro to the Roman World
- The Latin Library
Plain texts, easy to cut-and-paste into your own files as you wish. There are some misprints.
- The Medieval Bestiary
Texts and images for the bestiary tradition
- New Northvegr Center
Wide range of texts of Northern origins, with convenient translations.
- Patrologia Latina
Digital library of Classical texts. The same material can be accessed on a mirror site using the Philologic interface.
- PHI (Packard Humanities Institute) Latin Texts
Major collection of Classical Latin texts (many from the Bibliotheca Teubneriana series).
- Polyglot Bible
Parallel Hebrew, Greek, Latin texts.
- St Patrick's Confessio
A digital edition of St Patrick's Confessio and Epistola, with many supplementary resources, launched by the Royal Irish Academy in 2011.
- Theoi E-Texts Library
Collection of referenced translations (many from Loeb editions).
- Thesaurus Linguae Hibernicae
Growing collection of Irish texts, including lesser-known works otherwise hard to access.
- Vindolanda Tablets Online
Writing tablets excavated from the Roman fort at Vindolanda in northern England.
5. LANGUAGE RESOURCES
- Brepolis databases
See Database of Latin dictionaries.
- Celtic Personal Names of Roman Britain
- Dictionary of the Irish Language (DIL)
Based mainly on Old and Middle Irish sources.
- Lexicon of Greek Personal Names
- Orbis Latinus online
Latin place names.
Lexicographical resources include Lewis & Short's Latin dictionary, Liddell & Scott's Greek–English Lexicon, and a Latin/Greekmorphology study tool.
6. MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS
6.1. Individual libraries
(See also below for broader collections.)
- Aberystwyth (National Library of Wales)
- Cambridge, Corpus Christi College
- Cambridge, University Library
- Cologne, Erzbischöflichen Diözesan- und Dombibliothek
- Copenhagen, National Library of Denmark/University Library
- Dresden, Sächsische Landesbibliothek/Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek
- Karlsruhe, Badische Landesbibliothek
- Laon, Bibliothèque municipale
- Leiden, Universiteitsbibliotheek
- London, British Library
- Munich, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek
- Oxford, Bodleian and other libraries
- Paris, Bibliothèque nationale
- St Gall
- Valenciennes, Bibliothèque municipale
- Vatican, Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana
- Catalogue of Digitized Medieval Manuscripts
General catalogue of digitised manuscripts, with links.
- Centre for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts
- e-codices: Virtual Manuscript Library of Switzerland
- Irish Script on Screen
7. ASSOCIATIONS AND INSTITUTES
- Accordia Research Institute
- Archaeological Institute of America
See also info on the 2011 AIA and APA Joint Annual Meeting.
- The British School at Athens
- The British School at Rome
- Centre for Etruscan Studies
- Classical Association of Ireland
- The Etruscan Foundation
- Irish Institute of Hellenic Studies at Athens
- Institute of Classical Studies (London)
- The Undergraduate Awards
- Digital Classicist
- Digital Medievalist
- Diotima: Materials for the Study of Woman and Gender in the Ancient World
- Harvard Classics Prose and Poetry Recital Page
- Papyrology at Oxford
Includes database of Oxyrhynchus papyri.
- Poggio Civitate Excavation Project
- Pompeii Forum Project