Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
Research & Innovation
Research & Innovation
NUI Galway’s vibrant research community take on some of the most pressing challenges of our times.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Privacy Notice to Students in respect of Virtual Conferrings
NUI Galway will be hosting Winter Conferring 2020 virtually via a live stream recording.
We are inviting students who wish to do so to submit a photograph of themselves which will be displayed during the ceremony.
This photo is considered personal data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018.
In line with data protection laws, NUI Galway is the data controller and processes the student personal data of new and current students in compliance with the law. This privacy notice is to tell students how that personal data is used and protected by NUI Galway.
How we collect your information:
Students will be invited by email to upload a photograph of themselves. The photograph will be stored on the secure NUI Galway platform.
Types of information collected:
NUI Galway will collect the following types of personal data:
- Visual image
- Award title
How we will use your data:
NUI Galway will be hosting virtual conferring which will be streamed on the University’s social media platforms, i.e. Facebook and YouTube. The photograph uploaded by the student will be displayed during the conferring ceremony.
How your personal data is stored and shared:
Your personal data will be stored on the secure NUI Galway system.
Your personal data will be securely shared with Brandtstudios who organise the video aspect of the virtual conferring. NUI Galway have entered into a Data Sharing Agreement with Brandtstudios and will ensure that appropriate controls are in place to ensure your personal data is safe and that the personal data is only used for the allowed purpose.
Once the conferring has taken place, NUI Galway and Brandtstudios will permanently delete the photographs provided. NUI Galway will retain a copy of the conferring ceremony and may display same on the University’s social media platforms, i.e. Facebook and YouTube.
Lawful basis of processing personal data in relation to virtual conferring ceremonies:
The lawful basis for processing this personal data is public task, and where public task is not applicable, legitimate interests as set out in Article 6 and recital 47 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Legitimate interests applies when:
- the data processing is not required by law or other legal basis but is of a clear benefit to the University or the student based on the relationship between the University and the student;
- there is limited privacy impact on the student;
- the individual and the University would reasonably expect the University to use the personal data in the way that the University wishes to.
Your data protection rights:
GDPR ensures the rights of the individual are protected. Under GDPR, you have the following enhanced rights in relation to how we use your personal data:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. (Article 15)
- Right of rectification – you have the right to correct data that we hold about you that it inaccurate or incomplete. (Article 16)
- Right of erasure – in certain circumstances, you can ask for the data we fold about you to be erased from our records. (Article 17)
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing e.g. transferring data to third parties. (Article 18)
- Right to data portability – which means you have the right to receive your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format with the aim of transmitting that data to another controller (organisation/hospital/research body) without hindrance. (Article 20)
- Right of objection - you have the right to withdraw your consent (where applicable) at any time to having your data processed under this scheme (Article 21)
If you have any questions regarding GDPR or specific personal data, you may contact:
NUI Galway Data Protection Officer: email@example.com
Where can I get more information?
NUI Galway’s Data Protection Policy is available on the website.
The Data Protection Commission’s Office is the regulatory body for data protection. You can read about your data protection rights such as access to or where applicable in accordance with University policy and procedure erasure of personal data at on the Data Protection Commissioner’s Website Data Protection Commission website and also in the NUI Galway Student Data Usage Policy
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commissioners Office about the handling of your personal data and can find out more about this on their website Data Protection Commission website