Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Anatomy (Structured PhD)
(Structured PhD) Anatomy
College of Medicine, Nursing, & Health Sciences,
School of Medicine
Postgraduate students will be expected to complete a research project within one of our areas of interest using the extensive range of technologies available in the discipline of Anatomy. Students are required to take a number of taught modules. The Graduate Studies website provides further details on Structured PhD Programmes http://www.nuigalway.ie/graduatestudies/ .
Additionally, it is envisaged that postgraduate students will participate in scientific cross-over with intra-institutional and external laboratories. It is also expected that the PhD students would contribute to teaching activities of the discipline.
Admission to our research programmes requires prior approval of the discipline.
Please contact the discipline administrator to arrange to meet the relevant staff member for informal discussion concerning research degrees.
Anatomy is a key node within the National Biophotonics and Imaging Platform http://www.nbipireland.ie and is part of the Euro-BioImaging network.
Structured PhD (full-time, four years)
Structured PhD (part-time, six years)
Areas of interest
• Reproductive Biology
• Matrix Biology
• Chromosome Biology
• Cardiovascular Biology
• Tissue Engineering
• Medical Imaging
Specialised Areas of Interest
• Integrative reproduction: structure / function of human endometrium, environmental endocrine disruption, fetomaternal interface
• In vivo and in vitro study of human diseases
• Normal and pathological development
• Role of the extracellular matrix, of matrix receptors and signalling in vivo
• Phenotypic analysis of models
• In vitro model systems—cell micropatterning and microfluidics
• Biomaterials tissue interactions
• Neuroscience: spinal cord development and injury
• Cellular responses to DNA damage
• Specific contribution to national biophotonics and imaging platform
• Education, molecular and cellular imaging, imaging technology cores
• Neuroimaging: Understanding the biological basis of mood and anxiety disorders and psychosis
• Sampling design; Stereology; Image analysis
• Microscopy: Confocal / ambient and low temperature Electron Microscopy
• In situ hybridization (at the light and electron microscopical level)
• Lectin Histochemistry
• Behavioural/phenotypic Characterisation (Organ/cell)
• Cell culture models and/or 3D cell culture systems
• In vivo and post-mortem human brain imaging using structural and diffusion MRI, advanced MR image analysis such as non-tensor based tractography
Ms. Fidelma Gallen
T 353 91 49 2180