A person has the right to object to the processing of your personal information, to rectify, to erase, to restrict and to port your personal information.  For further information please visit:

(1)   http://gdprandyou.ie/

(2)   https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Home/4.htm

If you wish to make a data access request or exercise any other data protection right, it must be in writing.

Your letter for a data access request should be addressed to:

The Data Protection Officer,
NUI Galway, Room A129,
The Quadrangle,
NUI Galway,
University Road,

If you wish to make a request by email it can be sent todataprotection@nuigalway.ie

While the GDPR does not specify any particular format in which you should make an access request, the Data Protection Commissioner has provided the below template for access requests that are made to in writing:


I wish to make an access request under Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for a copy of any information you keep about me, on computer or in manual form in relation to...

Please be as specific as possible in relation to the personal data you wish to access. You may be asked to provide evidence of your identity. This is to make sure that personal information is not given to the wrong person Please include any additional details that would help to locate your information - for example, a staff or student number, names of departments/offices that you were associated with, etc.

If you wish a third party to submit a data access request on your behalf (e.g. a family member or solicitor), you must provide written authorisation to allow the University to disclose your personal data to that third party. 


In order to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to the wrong person, you may be required to provide proof of identity before any personal data is released to you.  Acceptable forms of identification include: copy of passport or driving licence; staff/student ID card; copy of bank statement; copy of utility bill.  Copies are acceptable in most cases, however, we reserve the right to ask to see original documents where necessary.  If you are required to provide copies of such documents to the University, they will be securely destroyed once we have verified your identity.


A decision on your request will be made within 30 days of receipt of your request.

Right to complain to Data Protection Commissioner:

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your request, you may make a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner (Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, Co. Laois), who will investigate the matter for you.  Further details on your rights under the Data Protection Acts are available on the Data Protection Commissioner's website www.dataprotection.ie