Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
- Reconfigurable Device Fault Detection and Self Repair
- Intrinsic Evolution of Analogue Spiking Neural Networks
- Circuit Synthesis Modelled On Cellular Development
- On-chip Digital Evolution Using Virtex2Pro
- Plasticity and Learning in Evolved Autonomous Systems using Spiking Neural Networks
- Over millions of years evolution in nature has optimised and adapted species that survive and thrive within their environment
- Investigate, mimic and adapt concepts and mechanisms found in the biological world that ensure species survival to inspire the development of novel self-reconfiguring electronic and computational systems
- Fully autonomous, self-reconfiguring, evolving electronic systems
- Highly optimised and adapted evolved electronic systems incorporating autonomous fault detection and self-repair
- Detecting unexpected environment or behaviour change and self-evolving to recover system behaviour
- Spiking Neural Networks (SNNs) for autonomous robotics applications
- Techniques for efficient evolution on digital and analogue reconfigurable devices
- Reconfigurable device fault detection and self-repair
- Evolve to achieve optimal signal processing, self-repair and improved performance
- Circuit synthesis modelled on cellular development
Evolvable Hardware : a brief summary
- Evolvable hardware is an emerging field
- Increasing number of researchers and conferences
- Adaptive techniques are being employed by industry (space)
- New architectures and reconfigurable devices are being developed
- Using evolutionary methods to produce designs which would otherwise exist outside the human design space.
- Genetic Programming methods have produced patented designs
- Humies competition measure innovation (human-competitive results produced by some form of genetic and evolutionary computation)
- To date, relatively small hardware and software systems have been evolved
- A number of function level reconfigurable chips are now available (PACT, RICA
Indirect methods for evolving circuits are being published
Enabling Technologies used in NUI Galway
- Reconfigurable digital platform, FPGA (Xilinx Virtex)
- Reconfigurable analogue platform, FPAA (Anadigm)
- Spiking Neural Networks
- Robotics, sensors and actuators (ultrasound, motor, luminescence detector)
- Genetic Algorithms
- Java/JBits, C , Python
- Embedded processors : PicoBlaze, Microblaze, PowerPC
- EDA Toolsuites : Xilinx ISE/EDK