Closed March 16th: The 2021-'22 HEAR |Access Financial Aid Fund is closed for new applications.

Who is eligible to apply?

HEAR students, Access School Leavers and Access Mature students only.

To apply please ensure you have the following details:

You need to complete the application form. If registered under one of the eligibility categories above, you will receive funding.

Where do I apply?

Please do not re-apply if you have already applied this academic year. This fund will re-open in Sem 1 2022-23 to eligible applicants only. Click here. 

Key considerations in making your application:

  • Students can only apply once per academic year to a fund.
  • If you submit more than one application to a fund, only your latest application will be retained and assessed; earlier applications to that fund are over-written.
  • By uploading incorrect or inaccurate documentation, your application may be rejected or delayed.
  • EU (including UK) students may apply to the Hardship/Emergency fund plus one other fund if eligible and relevant.

What documentation do I need to submit with my HEAR/Access Fund application?

Students do not need to submit any documentation other than the application form.

I was accepted into University as a HEAR / Access School Leaver/ Access Mature Student, what fund should I apply to and what are the criteria?

All undergraduate HEAR students and Access School Leavers and Access Mature students are eligible to apply to the HEAR |Access Fund. The application form is now available here  . The only criterion is that you entered University under these listed access initiatives and you do not need to be means tested again. NOTE: This means you do not need to upload any additional documents with your online application.

General FAQ's:

When does the application to the fund re-open?

Applications for closed funds will re-open in Semester 1 2022/23.

Where can I get help and advice about the Financial Aid Fund?

Students who require assistance in completing their application are advised to contact us in the Accommodation & Welfare Office.  Contact details are available here.

How do I apply?

Complete the online application form, when it is open - here

What are typical errors that occur when filling in an application?

If you are not a registered student of NUI Galway , you may not be able to access the FAF application forms. 
You must complete all questions in the application form.  If any question is not complete it will not save.   Once it has been completed successfully you will receive an automated email. 

If you do not get a confirmation email (the email may have gone into your spam folder) please check the following and resubmit:

Make sure that you complete all questions in the application form. Do not leave any questions blank. If any question is not complete it will not save.  
“Household Income (annual)”, please choose one of the three income bands options in the Means Tested Fund. Do not put in your actual income or the form will not save
“Year of Study” Choose the year of your course that you are registered for e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4 etc Please do not put 2020. 
Questions not answered and left blank. Scroll back-up through your form after entering submit - are there any incomplete questions showing read text?
When you have saved you application successfully, you will receive an automated email advising you that your application has been received.   Please check your spam email address if you have not received this email

The above errors will result in your application not being submitted and not being recorded.

You will receive an email from Student Services staff advising you of the outcome of your application.

Can I appeal the decision?

You must complete the Financial Aid Fund - Decision Appeal form which you will find in the forms section when you login to Accommodation & Welfare Connect.  

There are two grounds for appeal:

  • That you believe there was an “administrative error in assessment” i.e. that you think a mistake was made when your application was being reviewed that lead to you not being awarded funding or 
  • that you believe “insufficient weight was given to an aspect of your application” i.e. that all your circumstances were not taken into account when your application was being reviewed and/or that something important was not considered about your personal Please complete the form in full and outline your reasons for appealing this decision.   For example, please state why you believe insufficient weight was given to your application.

Having completed the online appeals form you will be contacted by staff in the Accommodation and Welfare Office and invited for an interview to discuss your appeal

I am having difficulties submitting the form, where can I get help?

If you are still having difficulties please contact us, our contact details can be found here.

I have had a significant change in my household income in the last 12 months can I apply to any fund?

Yes, you can apply to one of the Hardship/Emergency Funds.  The purpose of this fund is to offer financial assistance to students who encounter acute and significant unexpected difficulties during their time of study in NUI Galway. Illnessesbereavement, Covid-19 impacts and sudden unemployment are some of the issues that may make you eligible for the Hardship/Emergency Fund. On-going low income does not, in and of itself, qualify you for the Hardship Emergency Fund.

Applicants must complete the online application form and complete and upload a Budget Worksheet Applicants will be invited to a meeting in the Accommodation & Welfare Office to discuss the change in circumstances with a member of staff.   The contents of your application will be treated confidentially.    You will be asked for documentation to show the impact of the change in your circumstances. The documentation should relate to the current academic year.

Can I apply to all the funds?

No. If you are a HEAR student or Access School leaver or Access mature student you must apply to HEAR | Access fund. All other EU students from low-income households should apply to the Means Tested Fund.

However, if you have applied to one of the above funds and you have experienced a significant life changing event then you can also apply to the Hardship/Emergency fund.

I’m still confused and am not sure which fund to apply to.   Can you help?

Yes, please check our chart at Guidelines on which Financial Aid Fund is most applicable to me. If you are still in doubt contact us via online contact form here.

None of the above funds seem to apply to me, am I still eligible for funding?

We suggest that you read the eligibility criteria for each fund carefully. However if you are in financial difficulty and none of the funds above apply, you may still contact us via our online contact form here to check your eligibility for alternative sources of funding or support.

I am having difficulty paying my fees, can I use these funds to assist with this?

No, the Financial Aid Fund cannot help students with the cost of fees or loans from this fund. However, if you contact our Fees Office they may be able to arrange a payment instalment plan for you.  You will find further information at