Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
Research & Innovation
Research & Innovation
NUI Galway’s vibrant research community take on some of the most pressing challenges of our times.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Making a claim FAQ
Can visitors (e.g. external examiners, interviewees, Údarás members) to the University submit claims using the online system?
No. However, visitors can use the Accounts Payable Travel & Expenses Claim Form.
Which travel type do I choose when entering my claim?
This depends on the type of expenses on your trip.
- Subsistence Rates & Vouched Expenses - Use this option if claiming subsistence rates that are already set up on Agresso for the destination you travelled to. All countries are not set up so if you can't find your destination then you may use Vouched Expenses Only option where you can select subsistence expense type and manually enter the subsistence rate you are claiming (including details of the rate in the description).
- Vouched Expenses Only - Use this option when not claiming subsistence rates
May a NUI Galway employee claim for reimbursement of travel expenses for travelling to and from work?
In line with university policy and Revenue guideline, NUI Galway employee may not be reimbursed for travel expenses incurred in travelling to and from their work in NUI Galway. (i.e. anyone paid through HR/Payroll, be they full-time, part-time, salaried, waged, occasional/paid on a time sheet, etc.)
What do I enter if claiming kilometres?
The system doesn't calculate the distance between locations. You just need to enter the amount of KMs travelled in the No. km/Base Amount field.
What are the rates per kilometre?
The rates can be found here.
When should I use VKMS (Vouched KMs) to claim less than standard rates?
VKMS should only be used when claiming less than standard rates
By selecting Kilometers - (b) lower than standard University KM rates you are choosing to manually enter a lower KM rate.
For example if your budget does not have sufficient funds to cover the standard rate you can use this option.
Can I change the "system" currency exchange rate?
Yes - the system automatically updates weekly but it is also possible to change this manually.
Can I change the currency for an expense item?
Yes, this is possible, but note there is a technical issue with this so please follow exactly as outlined below.
When entering a currency on the Financial System all you need to do is type the currency code in the currency field e.g. GBP for Sterling and hit the TAB key to move on to the next field.
Note: If you hit the lookup (the box with the three dots) it causes the issue below
If you can't find the currency of the country you visited then please use Euro.
There is no subsistence/conference rate for the country that I need - what should I do?
Select the appropriate rate from the above file, enter your expense claim as a vouched expense travel type, and choose the appropriate expense item from the options listed (e.g. subsistence over 10 hours etc, subsistence over 24 hours).
How do I enter a claim against my Triennial Travel Grant?
Enter the expense claim as a normal "Vouched" claim - however, in Tab 3 - Expenses under the Expense Details heading choose Triennial Travel Grant from the dropdown menu to the right of Expense Type. You can give enter the detail of what the expense item is for in the Description field.
Note: Please do NOT change the budget from the default specified under the GL Analysis section. If you have entered each item entered as a "Triennial Travel Grant" Expense Type it will not charge the claim to your Departmental budget but will come out of your personal Triennial Travel Grant, provided there is enough funding there. Some users are entering D1993 which is incorrect as this is the Triennial Travel Grant budget for the University.
How do I submit a claim for Foreign Police Certificates?
1. The cost centre code to claim costs incurred for Foreign Police Certificates is D0278
Do not submit any expenses to D0278 that do not relate to Foreign Police Certificates Expenses
2. Only expenses incurred in obtaining a Foreign Police Certificate may be claimed as per list below:
- The cost of a Foreign Police Certificate itself
- The cost of having fingerprints taken
- If it was necessary to travel to an Embassy in Dublin
- Related travel expenses
- Travel to countries outside of Ireland may not be claimed.
3. If it was compulsory to courier an application/documents to obtain a Foreign Police Certificate
4. To claim the cost of finger printing select Foreign Police Certificates as the Expense Type.
5. To claim the cost of a courier select Foreign Police Certificates as the Expense Type