Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
VPN – Remote Access Service
NUI Galway provides a Virtual Private Network service to allow staff to make a secure encrypted connection to the NUI Galway network from a remote location i.e. home or abroad. Staff who use this service are able to remotely access NUI Galway network services which are normally restricted to those who are situated on campus. Please make yourself familiar with the QA406 Remote Access Policy
Download software here
- Download VPN Client for Windows here
Guide to connect to VPN for Windows
- Download VPN Client for MAC here
Step by step guide to VPN connection for MAC
- Download VPN Client for Linux here
This service is restricted to registered NUI Galway staff. The staff member must get Head of Department approval before they will be assigned a VPN account. The PC/Laptop used to connect over the VPN must have the latest updates, up to date Antivirus installed and meet ISS security criteria.
The following operating systems are supported on the VPN service:
- Windows 8 Pro
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows Vista
- Mac OS 10.6 and later
You must have a good broadband service available either at home or while travelling abroad to be able to access the VPN service.
How to Request remote VPN access
- Log a ticket using Service Desk Ticketing System making sure to add your Head of Department approval.
(You may get your Head of Department to email you with his/her approval and add this to your ticket.)
- Log the ticket under Wifi & Network > Remote Access > VPN >new request
- Give the following information:
(i) IP address of your PC or the system or service you wish to access off-campus.
To find your IP address on a windows To find your IP address on a MAC
(ii) The name of the staff member requiring the access.
(iii) Email address of the staff member.
(iv) NUI Galway Staff ID
(v) Operating system of the off- campus devices that will be used to access the resources.
(vi) Period of time access is required.
- Ensure that your PC/laptop meet ISS security requirements to allow the VPN service to be installed on your computer.
- Once your account is set up, you will download the VPN software to run on your pc/laptop.
If you encounter any problems using the VPN service:
- Check your internet connection is working and your local firewall is turned off.
- Check Firewall settings, if you are in a location and are unable to connect using your VPN connection you may need to contact the local network administrator in the location to advise whether you are able to use the connection behind their firewall. In order for your VPN connection to work you need port 443 enabled outbound to 126.96.36.199.
- If you continue to have issues please contact the Service Desk in the first instance by logging a ticket using the Service Desk Ticketing System.