Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Apple IOS iphone issue: 02 February 2017
Users are experiencing issues connecting to the internet following an IOS 10 update on their Apple device
This is a known issue with eduroam, once Apple devices have upgraded to version 10.1.1 they are unable to connect to the internet
To rectify the problem ensure that the http proxy settings under Wi-Fi settings is set to “off” as follows:
Under Configure Proxy, ensure that the check mark beside 'off' is selected.
Users will then need to re-enter their login credentials
The following instructions are for windows 7 and will differ for other operating systems.
- Ensure Wi-Fi is enabled: Is it turned on?
- Some laptops have an external button/switch, others use the fn key + one of the F keys (usually with one of the above symbols on it).
- You can also Enable the Wi-Fi adapter through the control panel (Network and Sharing Centre > Adapter settings > Wireless network settings).
- Check you have an IP address on the wireless network
To find your IP address on a windows pc click here and on a MAC click here. (Make sure you look under Wireless LAN adapter Wireless network Connection).You should be receiving an IPv4 address in the format 140.203.##.##
- Ensure there are no proxy settings on the browser. Click here for instructions on how to configure your proxy settings for each browser installed.
- If you are connecting to Eduroam and experiencing difficulties:
Delete the Eduroam profile and reinstall it using Eduroam Installer here.
To delete the profile on Windows 7 laptop :Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing>Manage Wireless Networks>Eduroam>Remove.
To delete the profile on an Apple iphone: Settings >General >Profile Eduroam > Eduroam and then Delete Profile.
Then press delete button.
To remove the eduroam profile on your phone :
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi
- Tap the network name.
- Choose Forget this Network
- The device will then pick up the eduroam network again.
- Login using Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ensure your Wireless network Adapter drivers are up to date. You may need a wired connection for this. Plug into your modem at home using an Ethernet cable.
Control Panel>Network and sharing centre >Change Adapter setting >Right click Wireless adapter>Properties>Configure>Driver>Update Driver> Search automatically.
If the driver is updated you may need to reboot you device afterwards.
Note: If you are experiencing issues following an upgrade of your operating system. The browse my computer option for driver updates may sometimes resolve Wi Fi issues.
- Ensure your wireless card is configured as per manufacturers specifications. You can change some of the Wireless adapter settings under the advanced tab here. Changes to Wireless mode and increased power settings may help. Always note previous settings so you can return to them if unsuccessful.
- Again back on the network adapter properties disabling IPV6 may help. Also under IPv4 properties please ensure obtain an IP address and DNS server automatically is set and all fields are blank. Control Panel>Network and sharing centre>Change Adapter setting>Right click Wireless adapter>Properties
- User being constantly prompted to re-authenticate after short periods of inactivity may need to change sleep mode settings on their device. Control Panel > Power Options > Change when the Computer Sleeps.
- When using NUIGWifi, If the login page doesn’t load, ensure your browser homepage is a standard http://URL e.g. http://www.nuigalway.ie (not https:// or other protocol).
- Eduroam Security
The eduroam Cat installer is digitally signed by GÉANT which ensures its authenticity—GÉANT Association is visible in the URL address bar. When you are connecting from a manually configured device your security may be at risk. The URL for the eduroam installer is https://cat.eduroam.org
- Please ensure your system date is correct.
- Free Antivirus software can cause issues with the performance of wireless connectivity on campus.
If you have AVG installed on your laptop, please uninstall this software on your device.