Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Our Committment to Equality
The School of Nursing & Midwifery (SoNM) at NUI Galway is committed to upholding the ten key principles of the Athena SWAN Charter. By being part of Athena SWAN, Institutions and Schools commit to this progressive charter; adopting these principles within their policies, practices, action plans and culture. Our aim within the SoNM is to create an environment in which all staff and students succeed and thrive, feel supported, valued and included, and in which all forms of staff and student achievements are recognised.
The SoNM achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze Award in the November 2020 round.
Our Plan of Action
The School Self-Assessment Team is currently working to undertake the implementation phase of our four-year Athena SWAN Action Plan (2020-2024). We are working closely with the NUI Galway Office of the Vice President for Equality and Diversity (OVPED) to further gender equality in the policies and practices across our School and within our College and University community. The University's central actions on gender equality can be followed on the OVPED Gender Equality website.
Any questions pertaining to the SoNM Athena SWAN work and activities are welcomed by the School's Self-Assessment Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The SoNM’s Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team (SAT) is responsible for review and monitoring of gender equality in the School and the Athena SWAN award application process. Our SAT is currently Chaired by Dr Sandra Galvin. If you would like to know more please contact the Chair, or reach out to a School team member to learn more.
Some SoNM SAT members at the start of our Athena SWAN journey in 2020.
Terms of Reference
- To collaboratively develop AS-principle based programmes and mechanisms to support equality, diversity and inclusiveness in the SoNM.
- To oversee implementation of these programmes through specific action plans.
- To regularly evaluate the effectiveness of the SoNM AS-SAT action plans, and identify areas for improvement and upcoming challenges.
- To disseminate relevant information in a timely manner to the SoNM community, the School Board, Vice-dean for Equality, Diversity and Wellbeing CMNHS, the Equality and Diversity Project Manager CMNHS, and the VP for Diversity and Equality (including updates on the status of AS action plans).
- To offer the SoNM community opportunities to evaluate and contribute to the AS plan.
- To undertake a formal annual review of progress achieved on the AS-SAT plan and plan AS activities and initiatives for the upcoming year.
- To revise the AS programme in the event of failure to achieve an AS award.
- To Implement any AS approved Programme.