History of the College
In 1952, St. Angela’s College, Sligo was founded by the Ursuline Order. It was around this unique cut stone building, the beautiful 19th Century Clogherevagh House that our modern day campus, overlooking the lake has evolved.
St. Angela's College of Education, Sligo, was granted the status of Recognised College of the National University of Ireland (NUI) in 1978, and retained that status until the end of 2005.
In a historic Agreement between the College and NUI, Galway, the re-styled 'St. Angela's College, Sligo' became a College of NUI, Galway as of 1 January 2006.
Founded as a training college for teachers of Home Economics, St. Angela's has expanded its education services far beyond its original remit. Today it provides a range of full-time and part-time academic programmes at masters, degree, diploma and certificate level.
Angela Merici, the Ursuline Tradition and St. Angela's College
Angela Merici was born in the Brescia region of Northern Italy in 1474 and founded the Ursuline Order in 1535 as a result of her desire to provide education to women in their homes and communities, a pioneering effort of the time when women were not offered any access to education outside of the convent life.
Angela instructed the first twenty eight young women of the Ursuline Order to go out and influence the communities in which they lived and soon the Ursuline's expanded to regions across Italy and eventually to France in 1612. It was the French Ursuline Order that established the concepts of Home Economics as we know it today. The importance and practicaility of the subject was brought to Ireland in 1772.
Irish Ursuline communites spead across the country and eventually arrived to Sligo in 1876. They continued to promote the valuable lifeskills which was encompassed in one subject - Home Economics. In 1893 the subject was officially introduced to the national curriculum for secondary school education. A Higher School of Domestic Economy, providing further education in Home Economics was open from 1901-1926 and the years to follow this showed the determination and advocacy by the Ursuline Orders that would result in the planning for an official Home Economics College in Ireland. Clogherevagh House on the shores of Lough Gill was deemed an ideal location for a new College with a bright future.
The Department of Education authorised a one-year Home Management Course and on 25th September 1950, the first five students arrived to St. Angela's College. Another twelve arrived the following year and September 1952 saw the first teacher training students to arrive, embarking on a three-year diploma course which would ultimately allow them to teach the subject of Home Economics.