How do I apply for Erasmus+?

All host universities abroad will have application forms that must be completed by incoming Erasmus+ students. You should ensure that you complete such forms by the due date. Often, they will be sent to you by the host university once they have received your name and address from your academic coordinator here in St. Angela’s. Otherwise your Erasmus+ Department Coordinator and/or The International Office will be able to direct you to the correct form. 

What documents do I need to apply for Erasmus+ at a host college/university?

In most cases you will need the following items for registration in the host university. Take plenty of copies as you will probably have to present them on various different occasions:

  • A copy of your birth certificate (this may need to be a translated version; your department can help you with this)
  • A supply of passport photographs
  • Your passport
  • A letter saying your home university has nominated you as an Erasmus+ student and that you are in receipt of an Erasmus+ Mobility Grant. (You will get this from The International Office @ St. Angela’s College Sligo,
  • A confirmation of your acceptance at the university, if applicable.
  • Your European Health Insurance Card Take – note that some universities will also require you to provide evidence of your private travel insurance.

Most forms are now completed online, though some universities may require you to post them a printed copy, signed by your coordinator.

Do I need Health and Travel Insurance?

The Department of Foreign Affairs recommends that all students going abroad should be covered by comprehensive health and travel insurance policies. St Angela’s College Sligo, urges you to follow this advice.

If you are an Irish resident, you are entitled to necessary healthcare in the public system of any EU/EEA member state or Switzerland if you become ill or injured while on a temporary stay in that country, but to avail of this, you must make sure to carry a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). One card is needed for each individual or member of the family. You can apply for the card through your local HSE Office.

You should note that the EHIC does not cover the cost of treatment in a private setting, and that entitlements through the public health system may vary from country to country. It is advisable to consult the EHIC website for more detailed information; in particular, you should click on the link “Healthcare Services in other EU/EEA Countries” to ensure that you are aware of the cover and possible limitations that will apply in countries where you will be studying or travelling during your Erasmus+ visit.

Private Travel / Health Insurance:
Under the rules of the Erasmus+ programme set out by the HEA on behalf of the European Commission in Brussels, you will be required to take out some form of private insurance policy to cover you while you are studying abroad.

You cannot rely on the healthcare cover provided by the EHIC as this may be quite limited. Public healthcare systems vary from country to country, and few countries pay the full cost of healthcare for holders of the EHIC. The EHIC does not cover the cost of repatriation.

In addition, illness or an accident abroad may mean extra travel and accommodation costs.  You will also need to be covered for eventualities like cancelled/delayed flights and the loss/theft of luggage, personal belongings or money.

How do I organise my Erasmus+ accommodation?

Each outbound Erasmus+ student is responsible for organising his/her accommodation abroad. St. Angela’s College Sligo, cannot provide this service. However, each host university will have an Accommodation Office with detailed knowledge of the local area and the available options; that office will therefore be well placed to offer appropriate advice and support to incoming international students. The Accommodation Office function at St. Angela’s is operated by the Students Union.

You should be aware that it won’t always be possible to book a room in a student residence, as there is a limited supply of such accommodation and it can fill up quickly.  If this type of accommodation is available, it’s advisable to take advantage of it. 

You will normally need to complete a booking form in advance, often at the time of making your application to the host university. In a lot of cases, student accommodation is allocated on a “first come, first served” basis.  It is imperative that you do not delay in returning important documents such as booking forms. 

Mention what subjects you are studying when you complete the accommodation booking form: it may be possible to allocate you student accommodation near to the faculties of the subjects you will be studying.  You may be requested to pay a deposit in advance - pay this on time to avoid disappointment.   Your rental contract will most likely oblige you to pay in full for each month, even if you might not be there for all of the final month.  Be aware that in many cases, student residences are managed by agencies external to the university, so that the university itself may have little control over the allocation of rooms. It is worth noting that some student accommodation abroad may not be of a very high standard and may be located a distance from the university. You may find that cooking utensils are not provided and that a number of people could be sharing communal cooking and bathroom areas. If you are not comfortable with this, you may be better advised to seek accommodation in the private rental sector.

Research your options thoroughly and speak to returned Erasmus+ students before you make a final decision.

Where student accommodation is either not available or not your preferred option, it is strongly advised that you make appropriate arrangements in advance. This may mean booking into a hotel or hostel and arriving a week or two before the teaching term starts in order to give yourself time to search for private accommodation.

Visit the university’s Accommodation Office, as the staff there will be able to assist you and give you advice. Try to find out about different neighbourhoods in terms of their safety and their proximity to the university, and get an idea of the going rates for monthly rent. You are also advised to be careful signing contracts – always read the small print.

And remember that it is not advisable to accept accommodation if you have any reservations about the security and safety of the property.

Students who live at home while attending university in St. Angela’s College Sligo, may find the search for accommodation the most daunting aspect of the stay abroad. However, with careful and early planning most students don’t have any major problems.

Consider carefully the following points:

  • What types of accommodation options are available and what is the cost of each option?
  • What forms are needed to book accommodation, and what is the deadline?
  • What deposit, if any, is required in advance?
  • What facilities (toilet, shower, cooking, etc) are available? Are they shared? Is bed linen, etc. supplied or will you need to bring/buy your own? Is the property furnished? Are utility bills (electricity, gas, etc) included in the rent?
  • From what date will accommodation be available?
  • Will you be bound by a contract, and for how long?
  • What are the opening hours of reception in student residences? (If you are arriving outside of office hours, you may need to make advance arrangements to gain access to your room.)