Dr Brian O'Boyle
PhD; MA; BA; High Diploma (Teaching and Learning)
Brian has co-authored three books to date and is the author of a number of peer reviewed articles and book chapters.
His latest book – Tax Haven Ireland will be released by Pluto Press later in the Year.
Brian is currently working on a history of Liberalism – Liberalism and Capitalist Power, with Routledge.
Books and Book Chapters
- O’ Boyle and K. Allen 2021 Tax Haven Ireland. London. Pluto Press
- Allen, K and B. O’ Boyle 2017 – Durkheim A Critical Introduction London, Pluto Press.
- O’Boyle, B. and T. McDonough 2015. The State of Nature and Natural States – Ideology and Mathematical Formalism in Mainstream Economics. In J Morgan (Ed). What is this ‘school’ called neoclassical economics? Debating the issues.London, Routledge pp. 200-220.
- Allen, K and B, O’ Boyle, 2013. Austerity Ireland: The Failure of Irish Capitalism. London, Pluto Press.
O’ Boyle 2024. Liberalism and the Capitalist Tradition. London Routledge.
Peer reviewed journal articles
- O’Boyle B 2017. From Newton to Hobbes – The Metaphysical Foundations of Mainstream Economics – Cambridge Journal of Economics.Volume 41, Issue 6, November 2017, Pages 1587–1605,
- O’Boyle B, and T, McDonough 2016. The Ideology of Mathematical Formalism a Reply to Lawson Economic Thought –History, philosophy, methodology.
- O’Boyle, B. and T. McDonough 2015. ‘Critical Realism and the Althusserian Legacy’- Journal for the Theory of Social Behaviour Article first published online:Volume46, Issue2. June 2016Pages 143-164.
- O’ Boyle, B. and T. Mc Donough 2014. ‘Epistemological Problems and Ontological Solutions: A Critical Realist Retrospective on Althusser. Research in Political Economy. Vol, 29. pp. 183-227.
- O’Boyle, B. 2013. Coping with the Great Recession - Some Mainstream Accounts of the Crisis. International Critical Thought Vol 3. Issue 2. pp. 224-236.
- O’ Boyle, B. 2013. ‘Reproducing the Social Structure: A Marxist Critique of Anthony Giddens’s Structuration Methodology’ Cambridge Journal of EconomicsVol 37, No 5. Pp. 1019-1033.
- O’ Boyle, B. 2012. ‘Capital - Labour Imbalances – The Debt of Capitalism?’ International Journal of Management Concepts and Philosophy 2012 Vol 6. No.3 pp. 148-169.
- O’ Boyle, B. and T McDonough 2011. ‘Critical Realism, Marxism and the Critique of Neoclassical Economics’Capital and Class Vol 35, No 1. pp. 3-22.
- O’ Boyle 2015. Post Keynesianism and the Eurozone Crisis. International Socialism.Issue 148 pp.199 -202
- O’ Boyle B 2015. European Monetary Union –A Rod for the Backs of Working People. Irish Marxist Review Vol 4, No 15 pp. 33-45.
- O’Boyle B 2014. Decoding Marx’s Economic Logic - Review of Alex Callinicos’s Deciphering Capital.Irish Marxist Review Vol3, No.11 76-82.
- O’Boyle B 2013. Cracking the Crisis – Financial conspiracy of falling rate of Profitability. Irish Marxist Review Vol 2, No. 7 17-31.
- O’ Boyle B 2012. ‘Clutching at Straws – Some Mainstream Accounts of the Crisis, International Socialism Issue 135, pp. 179- 193.
- O’ Boyle B 2012. Keynesianism and the Crisis. Irish Marxist Review Vol 1. Issue 3 pp.11-26.