Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
QQI Fetac / PLC
Holders of recognised QQI (FETAC or NCVA) / PLC qualifications, with appropriate modules and who achieve a minimum of five distinctions, may be admitted onto certain degree based programmes at NUI Galway on a competitive basis.
Further information can also be found on the CAO website, by typing the appropriate NUI Galway course code into the search box e.g. GY101 for Arts you will then be presented with a table showing the FETAC awards/modules required for entry to that course.
If you would like more information about QQI (FETAC) / PLC Level 5 and Level 6 links to NUIG, please see the Access Office website.
What are the entry requirements for QQI (FETAC or NCVA) / PLC applicants?
Applicants who have an appropriate QQI (FETAC or NCVA Level 5 / 6) / PLC qualification and have achieved distinctions in a minimum of five modules will be considered for entry to certain NUI Galway Courses, e.g. General Arts, Commerce, Business Information Systems, Science and Nursing.
How many places are available on courses for QQI (FETAC or NCVA) / PLC applicants?
As the number of places is limited, applicants are admitted on a competitive basis to designated courses based on the student’s scores. Quotas for QQI (FETAC or NCVA) / PLC applicants are as follows:
- Bachelor of Arts (Joint-Honours) (GY101) 30 places
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) (GY104) 1 place
- Bachelor of Arts (History) (GY105) 1 place
- Bachelor of Arts (Mathematics and Education) (GY109) 3 places
- Bachelor of Arts (Children and Youth Studies) (GY110) 21 places
- Bachelor of Arts with Creative Writing (GY111) 1 place
- Bachelor of Arts with Human Rights (GY113) 5 places
- Bachelor of Arts with Performing Arts Studies (GY115) 2 places
- Bachelor of Arts (Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies) (GY118) 2 places
- Bachelor of Arts with Journalism (GY119) 5 places
- Bachelor of Arts (Cumarsáid agus Gaeilge) (GY122) 2 places
- Bachelor of Science (Applied Social Sciences) (GY123) 5 places
- Bachelor of Arts (Arts with Data Science) (GY124) 2 places
- Bachelor of Arts (Digital Arts and Technology) (GY125) 2 places
- Bachelor of Arts in Film & Digital Media (GY127) 2 places
- Bachelor of Arts (Global Languages) (GY128) 2 places
- Bachelor of Arts (International) (GY129) 2 places
- Bachelor of Arts (Music) (GY130) 2 places
- BA Government (Politics, Economics and Law) (GY132) 2 places
- BA Education (Computer Sciences and Mathematical Studies) (GY133) 2 places
- BSc Geography and Geosystems (GY134) 2 places
- Bachelor of Arts (Global Media) (GY135) 5 places
- Na Dána (Léann Teanga) (GY136) 2 places
- Business Information Systems (GY206) 5 places
- B Commerce (GY201) 20 places
- B Commerce (Global Experience) (GY209) 2 places
- Bachelor of Law and Business (GY250) 5 places
- Bachelor of Law (GY251) 5 places
- Bachelor of Law and Human Rights (GY252) 1 place
- Bachelor of Law and Taxation (GY253) 1 place
- Bachelor of Law, Criminology and Criminal Justice (GY254) 1 place
- Business Studies (International Hotel Management – Shannon College) (GY261) 3 places
- BE Mechanical Engineering (GY405) and BE Engery Systems Engineering (GY413) 2 places
- Nursing (GY515/GY516/GY517) 5 places across three courses. (GY515) 2 places (GY516) 2 places (GY517) 1 place
- BSc Undenominated (GY301) 30 places
- BSc Biomedical Science (GY303) 4 places
- BSc Biotechnology (GY304) 4 places
- BSc Environmental Science (GY308) 4 places
- BSc Financial Mathematics and Economics (GY309) 4 places
- BSc Marine Science (GY310) 4 places
- BSc Environmental Health and Safety (GY313) 4 places
- BSc Earth and Ocean Sciences (GY314) 4 places
- BSc Biopharmaceutical Chemistry (GY318) 4 places
- BSc Mathematical Science (GY319) 4 places
- BSc Physics (Applied, Astrophysics, Biomedical, Theoretical) (GY320) 4 places
- BSc Genetics and Genomics (GY321) 4 places
- BSc Agricultural Sciences (GY322) 4 Places
- BE Mechanical (GY405) and BE Energy Systems Engineering (GY413) 2 places
How do FETAC applicants apply?
Application is made through the CAO.