Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Business Studies (Higher Diploma)
The Higher Diploma in Business Studies (part-time) is designed to provide non-business graduates with a well-rounded understanding of business. This course provides training in the fundamental skills of business administration which enables graduates to play an active role in the development and management of business enterprises. Emphasis is placed on individual and group assignments, focusing on developing both applied skills and key interpersonal skills. This course also provides a pathway for graduates to progress to level 9 postgraduate studies in business.
Applications and Selections
Applications closed for 2019
Applicants require a Level 8 honours degree of H2.2 standard or above to meet entry requirements. This course is open to graduates of any discipline who wish to acquire a grounding in business practices.
Applicants should also possess a good level of computer literacy as this course is taught online.
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
Applicants require a Level 8 honours degree of H2.2 standard or above. This course is open to graduates of any discipline who wish to acquire a grounding in business practices. Applicants are expected to possess a good level of computer literacy.
Entry requirements for part-time students can be found in our FAQs section (i.e. age, english language requirements etc.).
2 years, part-time
Next start date
A Level Grades ()
Mode of study
This course is delivered online through:
- Live online lectures
- Podcasts and presentations (recorded spoken lectures with presentation slides)
- Screencasts (video recordings, e.g.: a demonstration of how to solve an equation)
- Reading material, assignments and online discussions
- Information Management for Business I
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Contemporary Management Thought
- Introduction to Management Accounting
- Leading and Managing People
- Foundations of Marketing Thought
- Marketing Management
And select 4 modules from the following options
- Organisational Psychology and Analysis
- Business Law I
- Management of Organisational Change
- Applied Microeconomics for Business
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Negotiation Skills
- Management Skills
- Implementing Digital Innovation
- Cases in Marketing Strategy
*The syllabus is subject to change on a cyclical basis.
Further EducationGraduates may go on to select from a range of level 9 postgraduate courses at NUI Galway or further afield.
Why Choose This Course?
Graduates can progress in a diverse range of industries, such as marketing, financial services, information systems and human resources. Graduates can also pursue further postgraduate study at Master’s level, such as the MSc Marketing, MSc Industrial Relations and HR Management courses.
Who’s Suited to This Course
The Higher Diploma in Business studies is suitable if you:
- Have an interest in business
- Would like to pursue a career in business
- Wish to pursue a Master’s degree in business and you do not have a business undergraduate degree
- Wish to complement your undergraduate degree with a business qualification
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
A fees scholarship of up to 30% may be available for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment. Students must be registered as unemployed and in receipt of one of the following:
- Job-seekers Benefit
- Job-seekers Allowance
- One-parent family allowance
- Disability allowance
- Community Employment Scheme
- Carer’s Allowance
- Signing for social insurance contribution credits
Please download the 2018_19 Fees Scholarship Form for more information.
Find out More
Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development
Nuns’ Island, NUI Galway, Galway
Tel: 091 495786