Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
Business & Industry
Guiding Breakthrough Research at NUI Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at NUI Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Philosophy (Structured PhD)
Structured PhD (Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences) (Philosophy)
College of Arts, Social Sciences, & Celtic Studies,
School of Humanities
As part of the doctoral training available on the Structured PhD programme, students avail themselves of a range of interdisciplinary taught modules. The wide menu of available options include modules that:
- are discipline-specific in that they augment the student’s existing knowledge in their specialist area
- are dissertation-specific in that they supply core skills which are essential to completion of the research project, e.g., additional language skills
- acknowledge a student’s professional development e.g. presentation of a paper at an international conference
- enhance a student’s employability through generic training, e.g,. careers workshops, computer literacy.
Each student will be assigned a primary Supervisor(s) and a Graduate Research Committee made up of experienced researchers to plan their programme of study and to provide on-going support to their research.
Both continental and analytic styles of philosophy are encouraged for research in this Discipline . The main areas for postgraduate research are post-Kantian and contemporary continental philosophy, aesthetics and bioethics. Within the Centre for Bioethical Research and Analysis (COBRA), which the Discipline hosts, research projects in areas of bioethics and professional ethics are especially encouraged. Within the area of continental philosophy we have particular interests in Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Phenomenology, Philosophy of Art and Culture, and Philosophy of Religion. Postgraduate research is also invited in the areas of Political Philosophy, Modern Philosophy (early and late), Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Psychiatry, Philosophy of Mind and Irish thought.
Structured PhD (Philosophy)—part-time: GYG56
Areas of interest
• Phenomenology of Religion (especially contemporary French thought)
• Classical Phenomenology (Husserl, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty)
• Existentialism (especially Simone de Beauvoir)
• Bioethics (especially issues concerning disability and new genetic technologies)
• Applied Ethics
• Environmental Ethics
• Professional and Research Ethics
• Political Philosophy
• Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Philosophy (especially Kant, Hegel and
• Marxism (Marx, Engels, Lenin)
• History of Irish thought
• Philosophy of Science,
• Philosophy of Psychology and Psychiatry
• Philosophy of Mind
Dr. Tsarina Doyle
T +353 91 495 473
Important: apply by mid-July for September entry
The Phenomenology of the Body in the work of Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Michel Henry and Martin Heidegger
Child Deprivation in Modern Ireland: A Philosophical Perspective.
Law and Ethics in Hegel and Contemporary Continental Philosophy
Fees for this course
EU: €4,275 p.a. 2016/17
Non-EU: €13,250 p.a. 2016/17