Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Course OverviewThe Bachelor of Midwifery Science course is a four-year degree programme provided in partnership with the Health Service Executive (HSE) West. The programme consists of theoretical and clinical modules. The theoretical content aims to provide students with the knowledge necessary to underpin their professional practice. It comprises lectures, seminars, workshops, experiential learning, skills training and reading time. Clinical modules are undertaken in the practice setting. Following completion of the programme, students are eligible to apply to register as a midwife with An Bord Altranais, the regulatory body.
Applications and Selections
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
Next start date
A Level Grades (2017)
AAA (A-Level) & c (AS) or equivalent combination
Next start date
Mode of study
Year 1 - 3
- Clinical and Theory Instructions
- Biological Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Midwifery Skills
- Midwifery Studies
- Health Promotion
- Clinical and Theory Instruction - Semester I
- Leadership and Clinical Governance in Nursing and Midwifery Practice
- Internship Clinical Practice which runs over 36 weeks - Semester II
Curriculum InformationCurriculum information relates to the current academic year (in most cases).
Course and module offerings and details may be subject to change.
Glossary of Terms
- You must earn a defined number of credits (aka ECTS) to complete each year of your course. You do this by taking all of its required modules as well as the correct number of optional modules to obtain that year's total number of credits.
- An examinable portion of a subject or course, for which you attend lectures and/or tutorials and carry out assignments. E.g. Algebra and Calculus could be modules within the subject Mathematics. Each module has a unique module code eg. MA140.
- Some courses allow you to choose subjects, where related modules are grouped together. Subjects have their own required number of credits, so you must take all that subject's required modules and may also need to obtain the remainder of the subject's total credits by choosing from its available optional modules.
- A module you may choose to study.
- A module that you must study if you choose this course (or subject).
- Required Core Subject
- A subject you must study because it's integral to that course.
- Most courses have 2 semesters (aka terms) per year, so a three-year course will have six semesters in total. For clarity, this page will refer to the first semester of year 2 as 'Semester 3'.
Year 1 (60 Credits)Required NU1101: Midwifery Anatomy and Physiology and Applied Midwifery Skills - 5 Credits - Semester 1
Required NU186: Principles & Practices of Midwifery - 10 Credits - Semester 1
Required NU115: Biological Sciences I - 10 Credits - Semester 1
Required NU172: The Nature of Midwifery - 5 Credits - Semester 2
Required NU1102: Midwifery Anatomy and Physiology and General Clinical Skills - 5 Credits - Semester 2
Required NU176: Clinical Practice I & II - 15 Credits - Semester 2
Required NU114: Practice Assessment - 0 Credits - Semester 2
Required NU116: Social Sciences 1 - 10 Credits - Semester 2
Required NU104: Placement Hours - 0 Credits - Semester 2
Year 2 (60 Credits)Optional NU237: The Management of Specialist Client Groups - 15 Credits - Semester 3
Required NU249: Biological Sciences II - 5 Credits - Semester 3
Required NU243: Practice Assessment - 0 Credits - Semester 4
Required NU244: Clinical Practice III & IV - 20 Credits - Semester 4
Required NU246: Midwifery Studies I - 10 Credits - Semester 4
Required NU247: Research Methods I - 5 Credits - Semester 4
Required NU248: Social Sciences II - 5 Credits - Semester 4
Required NU208: Specialist Placement Hours Module - 0 Credits - Semester 4
Year 3 (60 Credits)Required NU308: Midwifery Studies II - 5 Credits - Semester 5
Required NU333: Research Methods II - 5 Credits - Semester 5
Required NU306: Biological Sciences III - 10 Credits - Semester 5
Required NU314: Elective - 5 Credits - Semester 6
Required NU309: Midwifery Studies III - 5 Credits - Semester 6
Required NU334: Social Sciences III - 10 Credits - Semester 6
Required NU207: The Neonate Requiring Special Care - 5 Credits - Semester 6
Required NU193: Practice Assessment - 0 Credits - Semester 6
Required NU399: Clinical Hours - 0 Credits - Semester 6
Required NU350: Clinical Practice V & VI - 15 Credits - Semester 6
Year 4 (60 Credits)Required NU469: Internship Clinical Practice - 20 Credits - Semester 7
Required NU474: Clinical Practice VII - 10 Credits - Semester 7
Required NU499: Clinical Hours - 0 Credits - Semester 7
Required NU405: Leading & Developing Practice - 10 Credits - Semester 7
Required NU488: Internship Assessment 3 - 0 Credits - Semester 7
Required NU489: Internship Assessment 4 - 0 Credits - Semester 7
Required NU475: Research Project - 20 Credits - Semester 8
Required NU482: Internship Practice Assessment I, II & III - 0 Credits - Semester 8
Required NU486: Internship Assessment 1 - 0 Credits - Semester 8
Required NU487: Internship Assessment 2 - 0 Credits - Semester 8
Required NU490: Internship Assessment 5 - 0 Credits - Semester 8
Required NU491: Internship Assessment 6 - 0 Credits - Semester 8
Further EducationStudents can pursue further study at masters and PhD level.
Why Choose This Course?
Who’s Suited to This Course
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student Contribution
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
- Tuition: may be paid by the Irish Government on your behalf if you qualify for free tuition fees see - free fee initiative.
- Student Contribution: €3,000 - payable by all students but may by paid by SUSI if you apply and are deemed eligible for a means tested SUSI grant.
- Student Levy: €224 - payable by all students and is not covered by SUSI.
What Our Students Say
Emma Doyle | BSc (Midwifery)
... Being a third year student, studying Midwifery in NUI Galway, is challenging but definitely rewarding. I really like our new modern Nursing and Midwifery building; it's such a lovely environment and really conducive to learning. The clinical skills labs are really cool and so well equipped. They give a realistic insight into what it's like working in a hospital environment. I enjoy the fact that class sizes are small so you really get to know other students and the lecturers. The lecturers are so enthusiastic about their topics that it makes learning enjoyable and a lot easier! The support and teaching in the clinical setting given by experienced clinical staff is also great and sometimes you are learning things without even realising it...