Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
Alumni, Friends & Supporters
Alumni, Friends & Supporters
There are over 90,000 NUI Galway graduates Worldwide, connect with us and tap into the online community.
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Peer Reviewed Publications
Peer Reviewed Publications 2018
- Byrne, M., Mc Sharry, J., Meade, O., Lavoie, K.L., & Bacon, S.L. (2018). An international, Delphi consensus study to identify priorities for methodological research in behavioural trials: A study protocol. HRB Open Research, 1.
- D’Eath M; Byrne M; Murphy P; Jaarsma T; Mc Sharry J; Murphy AW; Doherty S; Noone C; Casey D (2018). Participants’ experiences of a sexual counseling intervention during cardiac rehabilitation: A nested qualitative study within the CHARMS pilot randomized controlled trial. The Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000482
- Doyle, L., Ellila, H., Jormfeldt, H., Lahti, M., Higgins, A., Keogh, B., Meade, O., Sitvast, J., Skärsäter, I., Stickley, T., and Kilkku, N. (2018). Preparing Masters-level mental health nurses to work within a wellness paradigm: Findings from the eMenthe project. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 27(2), 823-832.
- Flannery C, McHugh S, Anaba A, Clifford E, O’Riordan M, Kenny L,…. Byrne, M. (2018). Enablers and barriers to physical activity in overweight and obese pregnant women: an analysis informed by the theoretical domains framework and COM-B model. BMC pregnancy and childbirth. 18(1):178. doi: 10.1186/s12884-018-1816-z
- Flynn, S., Noone, C., & Sarma, K. M. (2018). An exploration of the link between adult attachment and problematic Facebook use. BMC Psychology.
- Fredrix M, McSharry J, Flannery C, Dinneen S, Byrne M. Goal-setting in diabetes self-management: A systematic review and meta-analysis examining content and effectiveness of goal-setting interventions. Psychology & Health. 2018:1-23. doi: 10.1080/08870446.2018.1432760
- Hennessy M, Byrne M, Laws R, Mc Sharry J, O’Malley G, Heary C. (2018). Childhood obesity prevention: priority areas for future research and barriers and facilitators to knowledge translation, coproduced using the nominal group technique. Translational Behavioral Medicine. 2018:iby074-iby. 10.1111/dme.13276
- Hogan, M., Broome, B., Harney, O., Noone, C., Dromgool‐Regan, C., Hall, T….. & O'Reilly, J. (2018). Integrating Content Expertise and Methodological Expertise in Team‐Based Settings to Address Complex Societal Issues—A Systems Perspective on Challenges. Systems Research and Behavioral Science.
- Kerins, C., Mc Sharry, J., Hayes, C., Perry, I., Geaney, F., &Kelly, C. (2018). Barriers and facilitators to implementation of menu labelling interventions to support healthy food choices: a mixed methods systematic review protocol. Systematic Reviews, 7, 88.
- Lahti, M., Ellilä, H., Jormfeldt, H., Skärsäter, I., Doyle, L., Higgins, A., Keogh, B., Meade, O., Stickley, T., Sitvast, J. & Kilkku, N. (2018). The required knowledge for lifespan mental health promotion and prevention for Master’s level mental health nurse education–the eMenthe project. International Journal of Health Promotion and Education, 56(3), 143-154
- Lee, H., Lamb, S.E., Bagg, M., Toomey, E., Cashin, A. and Moseley, L. (2018) ‘Transparent and reproducible pain research: a critical review’, PAIN, Epub ahead of print 23 Apr 2018, available at: doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000001254
- Mc Sharry, J., Chater., A.M., Despot Lucanin, J., Hofer, S., Paschali, A., & Warner, L. (2018) Health psychology education and training in countries represented in the EHPS, The European Health Psychologist, 19(6), 375-380
- McDarby F, O'Hora D, O'Shea D, Byrne M. (2018). Taking the sweetness out of the ‘share a Coke’ marketing campaign: the influence of personalized labelling on elementary school children's bottled drink choices. Pediatric Obesity. 13(1):63-9. doi: 10.1111/ijpo.12193
- Molloy, G. J., Noone, C., Caldwell, D., Welton, N. J., & Newell, J. (2018). Network meta-analysis in health psychology and behavioural medicine: a primer. Health Psychology Review, 1-17.
- Murphy, P. J., Noone, C., D’Eath, M., Casey, D., Doherty, S., Jaarsma, T., Mc Sharry, J. & Byrne, M.(2018). The CHARMS pilot study: a multi-method assessment of the feasibility of a sexual counselling implementation intervention in cardiac rehabilitation in Ireland. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 4(1), 88. doi:10.1186/s40814-018-0278-4
- Noone, C., & Hogan, M. J. (2018). A randomised active-controlled trial to examine the effects of an online mindfulness intervention on executive control, critical thinking and key thinking dispositions in a university student sample. BMC Psychology, 6(1), 13.
- Queally, M., Doherty, E., Matvienko-Sikar, K., Toomey, E., Cullinan, J., Harrington, J. and Kearney, P. (2018). ‘Do mothers accurately identify their child’s overweight/obesity status during early childhood? Evidence from a nationally representative cohort study’, International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 15(56).
- Skärsäter, I., Keogh, B., Doyle, L., Ellilä, H., Jormfeldt, H., Lahti, M., Higgins, A., Meade, O., Sitvast, J., Stickley, T., Kilkku, N. (2018). Advancing the knowledge, skills and attitudes of mental health nurses working with families and caregivers: A critical review of the literature. Nurse Education In Practice
- Toomey, E., Matvienko-Sikar, K., Heary, C., Delaney, L., Queally, M., Hayes, C., Kearney, P. and Byrne, M. (2018). Intervention fidelity within trials of infant feeding behavioural interventions to prevent childhood obesity: a systematic review’, Annals of Behavioral Medicine, Epub ahead of print 09 May 2018, available at: doi: 10.1093/abm/kay021
- Wallace, E., Hogan, M., Noone, C., & Groarke, J. (2018). Investigating components and causes of sabotage by academics using collective intelligence analysis. Studies in Higher Education, 1-18.
- Walsh D, Hynes L, O'Hara M, Mc Sharry J, Dinneen S, et al. (2018). Embedding a user-centred approach in the development of complex behaviour change intervention to improve outcomes for young adults living with type 1 diabetes: The D1 Now Study [version 1; referees: 2 approved]. HRB Open Research. 2018;1(8). doi: 10.12688/hrbopenres.12803.1
- Walsh DMJ, Morrison TG, Conway RJ, Rogers E, Sullivan FJ, Groarke A. (2018). A model to predict psychological and health related adjustment in men with prostate cancer: The role of post traumatic growth, physical post traumatic growth, resilience and mindfulness. Frontiers in Psychology. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00136
- Walsh, D, Moran, K, Cornelissen, V, Buys, R, Claes, J, Zampognaro, P, Melillo, F, Maglaveras,N., Chouvarda, I., Triantafyllidis, A., Filos, D., Woods, C. (2018). The development and codesign of the PATHway intervention: a theory-driven eHealth platform for the self-management of cardiovascular disease. Translational Behavioral Medicine. doi: 10.1093/tbm/iby017
- Walsh, K., Dennehy, R. Sinott, C., Browne, J. Byrne, S., Mc Sharry, J., Coughlan, E., Timmons, S. (2018). Exploring Antipsychotic Prescribing Behaviors for Nursing Home Residents with Dementia: A Qualitative Study. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association.
Peer Reviewed Publications 2017
- Byrne, M, Murphy, P, D’Eath, M, Doherty, S, & Jaarsma, T. (2017). Association between Sexual Problems and Relationship Satisfaction among People with Cardiovascular Disease. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 14(5), 666-674. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsxm.2017.03.252
- Byrne, M., O’Connell, A., Egan, A. M., Dinneen, S. F., Hynes, L., O’Hara, M. C., Coyne, I. (2017). A core outcomes set for clinical trials of interventions for young adults with type 1 diabetes: an international, multi-perspective Delphi consensus study. Trials, 18(1), 602. doi:10.1186/s13063-017-2364-y
- Cantwell, M., Walsh, D., Furlong, B., Moyna, N., McCaffrey, N., Boran, L., Smyth, S., Woods, C. (2017). Healthcare professionals' knowledge and practice of physical activity promotion in cancer care: Challenges and solutions. European Journal of Cancer Care. 2018 Mar; 27(2):e12795. (Epub 2017, Nov 29). doi: 10.1111/ecc.12795.
- Claes J., Buys, R., Woods, C., Briggs, A., Geue, C., Aitken, M.,Moyna, N., Moran, K., McCaffrey, N., Chouvarda, I., Walsh, D., Budts, W., Filos, D., Triantafyllidis, A., Maglaveras, N. & Cornelissen, V.A. (2017) PATHway I: Design and rationale for the investigation of the feasibility, clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of a technology enabled cardiac rehabilitation platform. British Medical Journal; 7(6):e016781. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016781.
- Danaher J., Noone, C., & Hogan, M. J. (2017). Algorithmic Governance: Developing a research agenda through the power of collective intelligence. Big Data and Society. doi: 10.1177/2053951717726554
- Direito, A., Walsh, D., Hinbarji, M., Albatal, R., Tooley, M., Whittaker, R., Maddison, R. (2017). Using the Intervention Mapping and Behavioral Intervention Technology Frameworks: Development of an mHealth Intervention for Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior Change. Health Education & Behavior. doi: 10.1177/1090198117742438
- Doyle, L; Ellilä, H; Jormfeldt, H; Lahti, M; Higgins, A; Keogh, B; Meade, O; Sitvast, J; Skärsäter, I; Stickley, T; Kilkku, N (2017). Preparing master-level mental health nurses to work within a wellness paradigm: Findings from the eMenthe project. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1111/inm.12370
- Duff OM, Walsh DM, Furlong BA, O'Connor NE, Moran KA, Woods CB. (2017) Behavior Change Techniques in Physical Activity eHealth Interventions for People With Cardiovascular Disease: Systematic Review. Journal of Medical Internet Research; 19(8):e281, DOI: 10.2196/jmir.7782
- Fraser, C; Grundy, A; Meade, O; Callaghan, P; Lovell, K (2017). EQUIP training the trainers: an evaluation of a training programme for service users and carers involved in training mental health professionals in user-involved care planning. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 24: 367-376. doi: 10.1111/jpm.12361
- Geraghty, A. Santer, M., Williams, S., Mc Sharry, J., Little, P., Muñoz, R., Kendrick, T., & Moore, M. (2017). “You feel like your whole world is caving in”: A qualitative study of primary care patients’ conceptualisations of emotional distress. Health: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Social Study of Health, Illness and Medicine, 1-21. doi: 10.1177/1363459316674786
- Gillespie, P., Murphy, E., Smith, S. M., Cupples, M. E., Byrne, M., & Murphy, A. W. (2017). Long-term cost effectiveness of cardiac secondary prevention in primary care in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The European Journal of Health Economics, 18(3), 321-335. (IF 2.266)
- Gillison, F., Mc Sharry, J., McGowan, L., Morrison, V. & Shaw, R. (2017). Showcasing health psychology research: How do we get impact and why does it matter? Health Psychology Update, 26(2), 2-9.
- Grundy, AC; Walker, L; Meade, O; Fraser, C; Cree, L; Bee, P; Lovell, K; Callaghan, P (2017). Evaluation of a co-delivered training package for community mental health professionals on service user- and carer-involved care planning. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 24: 358-366. doi: 10.1111/jpm.12378
- Humphreys M, Mc Sharry J, Dinneen S, Byrne M. (2017). Exploring Barriers and Facilitators to Attendance At Diabetes Structured Education Programmes In Ireland: A Qualitative Study Addressing A National Priority. International Journal of Integrated Care. 17(5). doi: 10.5334/ijic.3308
- Hurst, C., Flannery, C., Byrne, M., Kearney, P. M., Dunne, F., O’Riordan, M., & Walsh, J. C. (2017) Investigating the Perceived Benefits, Barriers and Beliefs towards Physical Activity in Pregnancy among Women with Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. Irish Medical Journal. 110; 8 (617)
- Keogh, B; Doyle, L; Ellila, H; Higgins, A; Jormfeldt, H; Lahti, M; Meade, O; Sitvast, J; Skärsäter, I; Stickley, T; Kilkku, N (2017). Developing e-learning materials in mental health: the eMenthe Project. Mental Health Practice, 20 (5):36-37. doi: 10.7748/mhp.2017.e1208
- Keogh, B; Skärsäter, I; Doyle, L; Ellilä, H; Jormfeldt, H; Lahti, M; Higgins, A; Meade, O; Sitvast, J; Stickley, T; Kilkku, N. (2017). Working with Families Affected by Mental Distress: Stakeholders' Perceptions of Mental Health Nurses Educational Needs. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 38 (10). doi: 10.1080/01612840.2017.1341587
- Lydon, S., Power, M., Mc Sharry, J., Byrne, M., Madden, C., Squires, J., O’Connor, P. (2017). Interventions to improve hand hygiene compliance in the intensive care unit: A systematic review. Critical Care Medicine. [IF: 7.442]
- Mansell, G., Hall, A. and Toomey, E. (2017) "Behaviour change and self-management interventions in persistent low back pain." Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2017.07.004
- Matvienko-Sikar K, Toomey E, Delaney L, Harrington J, Byrne M, Kearney PM. (2017). Effects of healthcare professional delivered early feeding interventions on feeding practices and dietary intake: A systematic review. Appetite. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2017.12.001
- Matvienko‐Sikar, K., Kelly, C., Sinnott, C., McSharry, J., Houghton, C., Heary, C., Toomey, E. Byrne, M.& Kearney, P. M. (2017). Parental experiences and perceptions of infant complementary feeding: a qualitative evidence synthesis. Obesity Reviews. doi: 10.1111/obr.12653
- Matvienko-Sikar, K., Byrne, M., Kelly, C., Toomey, E., Hennessy, M., Devane, D., Kearney, P. M. (2017). Development of an infant feeding core outcome set for childhood obesity interventions: study protocol. Trials, 18(1), 463. doi:10.1186/s13063-017-2180-4
- Mc Sharry, J. & Tonkin-Crine, S. (2017). Increasing impact in health psychology: Engaging with healthcare users, healthcare challenges and future health psychologists. Health Psychology Update, 26(1), 30-34.
- Meade, O; Buchanan, H; Coulson, N (2017). The use of an online support group for neuromuscular disorders: a thematic analysis of message postings. Disability And Rehabilitation, [ePub ahead of print] doi: 10.1080/09638288.2017.1334239
- Murphy, M. E., Byrne, M., Zarabzadeh, A., Corrigan, D., Fahey, T., & Smith, S. M. (2017). Development of a complex intervention to promote appropriate prescribing and medication intensification in poorly controlled type 2 diabetes mellitus in Irish general practice. Implementation Science, 12(1), 115. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-017-0647-z
- Murphy, M. E., Byrne, M., Galvin, R., Boland, F., Fahey, T., & Smith, S. M. (2017). Improving risk factor management for patients with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes: a systematic review of healthcare interventions in primary care and community settings. BMJ Open, 7(8), e015135.
- Noone, C. & Hogan, M. J. (2018). Improvements in Critical Thinking Performance Following Guided Mindfulness Meditation Depend on Need for Cognition and Open-mindedness. Mindfulness 9: 461. doi: 10.1007/s12671-017-0789-8
- O'Hara, M., Hynes, L., O'Donnell, M., Nery, N., Byrne, M., Heller, S., & Dinneen, S. (2017). A systematic review of interventions to improve outcomes for young adults with Type 1 diabetes. Diabetic Medicine, 34(6), 753-769. (IF 3.152)
- O’Hara MC, Cunningham Á, Keighron C, Allen G, Caulfield A, Duffy C, Byrne M, Dinneen SF. (2017). Formation of a type 1 diabetes young adult patient and public involvement panel to develop a health behaviour change intervention: the D1 Now Study. Research Involvement and Engagement. 3(1):21. doi. 10.1186/s40900-017-0068-9
- O’Hara MC, Hynes L, O’Donnell M, Keighron C, Allen G, Caulfield A, Byrne M, Dinneen SF. (2017). Strength in Numbers: an international consensus conference to develop a novel approach to care delivery for young adults with type 1 diabetes, the D1 Now Study. Research Involvement and Engagement. 3(1):25. doi: 10.1186/s40900-017-0076-9
- Raymakers, A. J. N., Gillespie, P., Murphy, E., Cupples, M. E., Smith, S. M., Murphy, A. W., Byrne, M.(2017). Patient reported health status and all-cause mortality in patients with coronary heart disease. Family practice 35(2):172-178. doi: 10.1093/fampra/cmx094
- Sinnott, C., Byrne, M., & Bradley, C. P. (2017). Improving medication management for patients with multimorbidity in primary care: a qualitative feasibility study of the MY COMRADE implementation intervention. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 3(1), 14. doi:10.1186/s40814-017-0129-8.
- Tonkin-Crine, S. & Mc Sharry, J. (2017). Increasing impact in health psychology: Working in multi-disciplinary research teams. Health Psychology Update, 26(1), 24-29.
- Toomey, E; Coote, S (2017). Augmenting home exercise programmes in multiple sclerosis with ‘exercise buddies’: A pilot study. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, 24 (2):54-61
- Toomey, E; Hardeman, W (2017). Addressing Intervention Fidelity within Physical Therapy Research and Clinical Practice. Journal Of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 47(12):895-898. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2017.0609
- Toomey, E., Matthews, J., & Hurley, D. A. (2017). Using mixed methods to assess fidelity of delivery and its influencing factors in a complex self-management intervention for people with osteoarthritis and low back pain. BMJ Open, 7(8), e015452.
Walsh, K., Dennehy, R. Sinott, C., Browne, J. Byrne, S., Mc Sharry, J., Coughlan, E., Timmons, S. (2017). Influences on Decision-Making Regarding Antipsychotic Prescribing in Nursing Home Residents with Dementia: a Systematic Review and Synthesis of Qualitative Evidence. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. [IF: 6.616]
Peer Reviewed Publications 2016
- Byrne, Molly; Doherty, Sally; Fridlund, Bengt G. A.; Martensson, Jan; Steinke, Elaine E.; Jaarsma, Tiny; Devane, Declan (2016) 'Sexual counselling for sexual problems in patients with cardiovascular disease (Review)'. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, (22)
- Casey, D; O'Hara, MC; Meehan, B; Byrne, M; Dinneen, SF; Murphy, K (2016) 'A Mixed Methods Study Exploring the Factors and Behaviors That Affect Glycemic Control Following a Structured Education Program: The Irish DAFNE Study'. Journal of Mixed Methods Research, 10:182-203
- Geraghty, A. W., Muñoz, R. F., Yardley, L., Mc Sharry, J., Little, P., & Moore, M. (2016). Developing an Unguided Internet-Delivered Intervention for Emotional Distress in Primary Care Patients: Applying Common Factor and Person-Based Approaches. JMIR Mental Health, 3(4), e53.
- Geraghty, A. W., Santer, M., Williams, S., Mcsharry, J., Little, P., Muñoz, R. F., & Moore, M. (2016). “You feel like your whole world is caving in”: A qualitative study of primary care patients’ conceptualisations of emotional distress. Health, 1-37.
- Gillespie P, Murphy E, Smith SM, Cupples ME, Byrne M, Murphy AW. (2016) 'Long term cost effectiveness of cardiac secondary prevention in primary care in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland'. European Journal of Health Economics
- Hynes, L., O'Hara, M. C., Jordan, V., Hutchinson, O. C., O'Dea, F., Byrne, M., & Dinneen, S. F. (2016). Strength In Numbers Hackathon: Using a novel technology-focused brainstorming activity to engage stakeholders in intervention development. European Health Psychologist.
- McDarby F, O’Hara D, O’ Shea D, Byrne M. (2016) Taking the sweetness out of the ‘Share a Coke’ marketing campaign: the influence of personalized labelling on elementary school children’s bottled drink choices. Pediatric Obesity.
- McHugh, S., Wall, O., Sinnott, C., Byrne, M., Timmons, S., & Kearney, P. M. (2016). CHARACTERISING AN IMPLEMENTATION INTERVENTION TO SUPPORT THE INTRODUCTION OF COMMUNITY-BASED FALLS RISK ASSESSMENT CLINICS. Age and Ageing, 45(suppl 2), ii13-ii56.
- Mc Sharry, J., Murphy, P. J., & Byrne, M. (2016). Implementing international sexual counselling guidelines in hospital cardiac rehabilitation: development of the CHARMS intervention using the Behaviour Change Wheel. Implementation Science, 11(1), 134.
- Mc Sharry, J., McGowan, L., Farmer, A. J., & French, D. P. (2016) 'Perceptions and experiences of taking oral medications for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta‐synthesis of qualitative studies'. Diabetic Medicine
- Mc Sharry, Jennifer; Fredrix, Milou; Hynes, Lisa; Byrne, Molly (2016) 'Prioritising target behaviours for research in diabetes: Using the nominal group technique to achieve consensus from key stakeholders'. Research Involvement and Engagement, 2 (11):1-19
- Murphy, P.J., Mc Sharry J., Casey, D., Doherty, S., Gillespie, P., Jaarsma, T., Murphy, A., Newell, J., O’Donnell, M., Steinke, E., Toomey, E., & Byrne, M. (2016). Sexual counselling for patients with cardiovascular disease: protocol for a pilot study of the CHARMS sexual counselling intervention. BMJ Open, 6(6).
- O’Hara, M. C., Cunningham, A., Heverin, C., O’Sullivan, E., Burke, H., Fredrix, M., O’Donnell, M., Cantillon, P., & Dinneen, S. F. (2016). ‘You can’t judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoes’: experiential learning in diabetes self-management increases empathy of undergraduate medical students. Diabetic Medicine 2016, 33 (Suppl 1), 322
- O'Hara M, Hynes L, O’Donnell M, Nery N, Byrne M, Heller S, et al. (2016) A systematic review of interventions to improve outcomes for young adults with type 1 diabetes: Towards the development of a new intervention. Diabetic Medicine.
Peer Reviewed Publications 2015
- Daker-White, G; Hays, R; Mc Sharry, J; Giles, S; Cheraghi-Sohi, S; Rhodes, P; Sanders, C (2015) 'Blame the Patient, Blame the Doctor or Blame the System? A Meta-Synthesis of Qualitative Studies of Patient Safety in Primary Care'. Plos One, 10
- Farmer, AJ; Mc Sharry, J; Rowbotham, S; McGowan, L; Ricci-Cabello, I; French, DP (2015) 'Effects of interventions promoting monitoring of medication use and brief messaging on medication adherence for people with Type 2 diabetes: a systematic review of randomized trials'. Diabetic Medicine
- Hynes, L; Byrne, M; Casey, D; Dinneen, SF; O'Hara, MC (2015) ‘’It makes a difference, coming here': A qualitative exploration of clinic attendance among young adults with type 1 diabetes’. British Journal Of Health Psychology, 20(4) :842-858
- Mc Sharry, J., French, D.P. & Olander, E.K. (2015) 'Do Single and Multiple Behavior Change Interventions Contain Different Behavior Change Techniques? A Comparison of Interventions Targeting Physical Activity in Obese Populations'. Health Psychology
- Mc Sharry, J; Bishop, FL; Moss-Morris, R; Holt, RIG; Kendrick, T (2015) 'A New Measure of Multimorbid Illness and Treatment Representations: The Example of Diabetes and Depression'. Journal Of Affective Disorders, 174 :192-200
- Molloy, GJ; Sweeney, LA; Byrne, M; Hughes, CM; Ingham, R; Morgan, K; Murphy, AW (2015) 'Prescription contraception use: a cross-sectional population study of psychosocial determinants'. BMJ Open, 5
- Murphy, AW; Cupples, ME; Murphy, E; Newell, J; Scarrott, CJ; Vellinga, A; Gillespie, P; Byrne, M; Kearney, C; Smith, SM (2015) 'Six-year follow-up of the SPHERE RCT: secondary prevention of heart disease in general practice'. BMJ Open, 5
- Murphy, E; Vellinga, A; Byrne, M; Cupples, ME; Murphy, AW; Buckley, B; Smith, SM (2015) 'Primary care organisational interventions for secondary prevention of ischaemic heart disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis'. British Journal Of General Practice, 65
- Murphy, P. J.; Hevey, D.; O'Dea, S.; Ní Rathaille, N.; Mulcahy, F. (2015) 'Optimism, community attachment and serostatus disclosure among HIV-positive men who have sex with men'. Aids Care-Psychological and Socio-Medical Aspects of Aids/HIV, 27 (4):431-435
- Murphy, P.J., Hevey, D., O'Dea, S., Ní Rathaille, N., & Mulcahy, F. (2015) 'Serostatus Disclosure, Stigma Resistance, and Identity Management among HIV-Positive Gay Men in Ireland'. Qualitative Health Research
- Sinnott, C., Mercer, S. W., Payne, R. A., Duerden, M., Bradley, C. P., & Byrne, M (2015) 'Improving medication management in multimorbidity: Development of the MultimorbiditY COllaborative Medication Review And DEcision Making (MY COMRADE) intervention using the Behaviour Change Wheel'. Implementation Science [Impact Factor 2.87], 10 (1)
- Sweeney, LA; Molloy, GJ; Byrne, M; Murphy, AW; Morgan, K; Hughes, CM; Ingham, R (2015) 'A Qualitative Study of Prescription Contraception Use: The Perspectives of Users, General Practitioners and Pharmacists'. Plos One, 10
Peer Reviewed Publications 2014
- Byrne M, Doherty S, Fridlund BGA, Mårtensson J, Steinke EE, Jaarsma T, Devane D. (2014) 'Sexual counselling for sexual problems in patients with cardiovascular disease (Protocol)'. Cochrane Database Of Systematic Reviews, 22.
- Casey, D. O’Hara, MC, Meehan, B. Byrne, M. Dinneen, SF. & Murphy, K. (2014) 'A mixed methods study exploring the factors and behaviours that impact on glycaemic control following a structured education programme: the Irish DAFNE Study'. Journal of Mixed Methods Research, 1-22
- Cole, Judith; Gillespie, Paddy; Smith, Susan; Byrne, Molly; Murphy, Andrew; Cupples, Margaret (2014) 'Using postal questionnaires to evaluate physical activity and diet behaviour change: case study exploring implications of valid responder characteristics in interpreting intervention outcomes'. BMC Research Notes, 7 (11)
- Curtis, R; Groarke, A; Mc Sharry, J; Kerin, M (2014) 'Experience of Breast Cancer Burden, Benefit, or Both?'. Cancer Nursing, 37:21-30
- Daniels, N., Kelly, C., Molcho, M., Sixsmith, J., Byrne, M., Nic Gabhainn S. (2014) 'Investigating active travel to primary school in Ireland'. Health Education, 114 (6):501-515
- French, D. P.; Olander, E. K.; Chisholm, A.; Mc Sharry, J. (2014) 'Which Behaviour Change Techniques Are Most Effective at Increasing Older Adults’ Self-Efficacy and Physical Activity Behaviour? A Systematic Review'. Annals of Behavioral Medicine
- Hynes L, Byrne M, Dinneen SF, McGuire BE, O'Donnell M, Mc Sharry J (2014) 'Barriers and facilitators associated with attendance at hospital diabetes clinics among young adults (15-30 years) with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review'. Paediatric Diabetes
- Mc Sharry, J; Baxter, A; Wallace, LM; Kenton, A; Turner, A; French, DP (2014) 'Delay in Seeking Medical Help following Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) or Mini-Stroke: A Qualitative Study'. Plos One, 9
- McGrath, ER; Espie, CA; Murphy, AW; Newell, J; Power, A; Madden, S; Byrne, M; O'Donnell, MJ (2014) 'Sleep to lower elevated blood pressure: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial'. Trials, 15
- Prior, L., Wilson, J., Donnelly, M., Murphy, A.W., Smith, S.M., Byrne, M., and Cupples, M.E., 2014. Translating policy into practice: a case study in the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. Health Expectations, 17(2), pp.291-301.
Other Selected Publications
Other Selected Publications 2017
Share, M. & Hennessy, M. (2017). Food Access and Nutritional Health among Families in Emergency Homeless Accommodation. Dublin: Focus Ireland. Download HERE
Other Selected Publications 2016
- Doherty, S. & D’Eath, M. (2016) Impact of living in the community with heart failure. Experiences of heart failure patients, their families and allied healthcare providers. Report prepared for The Irish Heart Foundation by the Department of Psychology, Division of Population and Health Sciences, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin.
- Fredrix, M., & Picariello, F. (2016). Report on the CREATE workshop. The European Health Psychologist.
Other Selected Publications 2015
- Byrne, M. & Mc Sharry, J. (2015) 'How to apply for research funding' In: How to Conduct Research for Service Improvement: A Guidebook for Health and Social Care Professionals 2nd Edition. Ireland: Health and Social Care Professions Education and Development Advisory Group Research Sub-group.
- Byrne, M. (2015) 'Annual Report - Ireland' European Health Psychologist, 17 (4) :223-225.
- Mc Sharry, J., (2015) 'Psychosocial Risks in a Unique Workplace Environment: Safe Trad and Traditional Irish Musicians' The European Health Psychologist, 17 (4) :174-178.
- McGuire BE, Byrne M, Burke L, Sarma K. (2015) 'How to practice ethically sound research: Guide for practice' In: How to conduct research for service improvement: A guidebook for Health & Social Care Professionals. Dublin: Health Service Executive
Other Selected Publications 2014
- Mc Sharry,J., White,G.D., Bower,P. & French, D. (2014) Older Adults' Experiences and Management of Multiple Conditions: a Systematic Review and Qualitative Meta-synthesis. 28th Conference of the European Health Psychology Society
- Mc Sharry, J (2014) 'Multiple Medical Conditions: Implications for Health Psychology Research' Health Psychology Update
- Mc Sharry, J. (2014) 'Challenges in managing multiple conditions: The patient experience of multimorbidity' The European Health Psychologist
- Mc Sharry, J. (2014) 'Qualification in Health Psychology (Stage 2) Supervisor Training' Irish Psychologist