Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
Research & Innovation
Research & Innovation
NUI Galway’s vibrant research community take on some of the most pressing challenges of our times.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Accountancy & Finance
- Farrell, M and Sweeney, B. (2021) 'Amazons MTurk: A currently underutilised resource for survey researchers?'. Accounting, Finance and Governance Review.
- Martyn, P, Sweeney, B. and Lillis, A. (2021) Framing of results controls and management of tensions between multiple performance criteria Management Accounting as a Social and Organizational Practice.
- Jonathan Levie and Samuel Mwaura (2021) 'What Does GEM Say About Minority Entrepreneurship?' In: Thomas M. Cooney (Eds.). The Palgrave Handbook of Minority Entrepreneurship. Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Conaty, F. (2021) 'Abduction as a Methodological Approach to Case Study Research in Management Accounting an Illustrative Case'. Accounting, Finance and Governance Review, 27 (1).
- Conaty, F., Robbins, G. (2021) The role of service user advocacy in transforming management control systems, and accountability in disability service NPOs 13th EIASM WORKSHOP ON THE CHALLENGES OF MANAGING THE THIRD SECTOR
- Crean, A (2021) Exploring the practical and institutional challenges of implementing Big Data Analytics in Auditing Irish Accounting and Finance Association Doctoral Colloquium Conference
- Crean, A; Carroll, N (2021) 'Developing Information Systems for the Modern Accountancy Profession Editors: Dr Martin Quinn and Dr Erik Strauss Routledge Companion to Accounting Information Systems' In: The Routledge Companion to Accounting Information Systems. London and New York: Routledge.
- Crean, A (2021) Exploring the practical and institutional challenges of implementing Big Data Analytics in Auditing European Accounting Association Annual Conference PhD Forum.
- Gerard Turley, Christian Raffer and Stephen McNena (2021) 'Budget Institutions for Subnational Fiscal Discipline: Local Fiscal Rules in Post-Crisis EU Countries' In: Local Public Finance: An International Comparative Regulatory Perspective. Switzerland: Springer.
- Cullinan J, Connolly S, Whyte R (2021) 'The Sustainability of the Irish Health Care System' In: The Sustainability of Health Care Systems in Europe. UK: Emerald Publishing.
- Duffy C, Toth G, Cullinan J, Murray U, Spillane C (2021) 'Gender Disparities in Agroforestry Knowledge Acquisition from Climate Smart Agriculture Extension Approaches'. Climate And Development, 13 :21-33.
- Doherty E;Hobbins A;Whitehurst DGT;O'Neill C; (2021) 'An Exploration on Attribute Non-attendance Using Discrete Choice Experiment Data from the Irish EQ-5D-5L National Valuation Study'. Pharmacoeconomics - Open.
- E Henry, Cullinan J (2021) 'Mental Health Spillovers from Serious Family Illness: Doubly Robust Estimation Using EQ-5D-5L Population Normative Data'. Social Science & Medicine, in press.
Cullinan J, Flannery D, Harold J, Lyons S, Palcic D (2021) 'The Disconnected: Covid-19 and Disparities in Access to Quality Broadband for Higher Education Students'. International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education, in press.
Pheby D, Araja D, Berkis U, Brenna E, Cullinan J, de Korwin J-D, Gitto L, Hughes DA, Hunter RM, Trepel D, Wang-Steverding X (2021) 'A Literature Review of GP Knowledge and Understanding of ME/CFS: A Report from the Socioeconomics Working Group of the European Network on ME/CFS (EUROMENE)'. Medicina, 57 (7).
Finucane E, Biesty L, Murphy D, Cotter A, Molloy E, ODonnell, M Treweek S, Gillespie P, Campbell M,. Morrison J, Alvarez-Iglesias A, Gyte G, Devane D (2021) 'Feasibility study protocol of a pragmatic, randomised controlled pilot trial: membrane sweeping to prevent post-term pregnancythe MILO Study'. Trials.
Cullinan J, Flannery D, Harold J, Lyons S, Palcic D (2021) 'The Disconnected: Covid-19 and Disparities in Access to Quality Broadband for Higher Education Students'. International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education, .
Gerard Turley, Christian Raffer and Stephen McNena (2021) 'Budget Institutions for Subnational Fiscal Discipline: Local Fiscal Rules in Post-Crisis EU Countries' In: Ren頇eissler, Gerhard Hammerschmid, Christian Raffer(Eds.). Local Public Finance: An International Comparative Regulatory Perspective. Switzerland : Springer.
Turley, G., McNena S. (2021) 'Equalisation transfers and local fiscal capacity: A new methodology for Ireland'. The Economic And Social Review, 52 (1):53-74.
Pheby D, Araja D, Berkis U, Brenna E, Cullinan J, de Korwin J-D, Gitto L, Hughes DA, Hunter RM, Trepel D, Wang-Steverding X (2021) 'The Role of Prevention in Reducing the Economic Impact of ME/CFS in Europe: A Report from the Socioeco- nomicsWorking Group of the European Network on ME/CFS (EUROMENE)'. Medicina, 57 (388).
Kgosidialwa O, Bogdanet D, Egan A, OShea P, Newman C, Griffin T, McDonagh C, OShea C, Carmody L, Cooray S, Anastasiou E, Wender-Ozegowska E, Clarson C, Spadola A, Alvarado F, Noctor E, Dempsey G, Napoli A, Crowther C, Galjaard S, Loeken M, Maresh M, Gillespie P, de Valk H, Agostini A, Biesty L, Devane D, Dunne F (2021). 'A core outcome set for the treatment of pregnant women with pregestational diabetes: an international consensus study'. BJOG: An International Journal Of Obstetrics And Gynaecology.
Keogh, S., O'Neill, S., Walsh K. (2021) 'Composite Measures for Assessing Multidimensional Social Exclusion in Later Life: Conceptual and Methodological Challenges'. Social Indicators Research.
Cullina, Eoin,Harold, Jason,McHale, John (2021) 'Irish science policy: a case study in evidence-based policy design for small open economies' In: Policy Analysis in Ireland. UK: Policy Press.
Aanesen, M., van Rensburg, T.M., Armstrong, C.W. (2021) 'Do we choose differently after a discussion? Results from a deliberative valuation study in Ireland'. Land Economics, .
Hynes, S,Chen, WT,Vondolia, K,Armstrong, C,O'Connor, E (2021) 'Valuing the ecosystem service benefits from kelp forest restoration: A choice experiment from Norway'. Ecological Economics, 179.
- Cullinan J, Pheby D, Araja D, Berkis U, Brenna E, de Korwin J-D, Gitto L, Hughes DA, Hunter RM, Trepel D, Wang-Steverding X (2021) 'Perceptions of European ME/CFS Specialists Concerning Knowledge and Understanding of ME/CFS Among Primary Care Physicians in Europe: A Report from the European ME/CFS Research Network (EUROMENE)'. Medicina, 57 (208).
- Harold, Jason and Bertsch, Valentin and Lawrence, Thomas and Hall, Margeret (2021) 'Drivers of People's Preferences for Spatial Proximity to Energy Infrastructure Technologies: A Cross-country Analysis'. The Energy Journal, 42 :47-90.
- Cullinan J, Denny K, Flannery D (2021) 'A Distributional Analysis of Upper Secondary School Performance'. Empirical Economics, 60:1085-1113.
- Cullinan J, Ni Chomrai O, Kindlon T, Black L, Casey B (2021) 'Understanding the Economic Impact of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) in Ireland: A Qualitative Study'. HRB Open Research, 3 (88).
- Turley, G; McNena, S. (2021) 'Equalisation transfers and local fiscal capacity: A new methodology for Ireland'. The Economic And Social Review, 52 (1):53-74.
- Tippmann, E.; Sharkey Scott, P.; Gantly, M. (2021) 'Driving remote innovation through conflict and collaboration'. Sloan Management Review.
- Garavan, C., McCarthy, A., Lai, Y., Clarke, N., Carberry, N., Gubbins, C., Sheehan, M. and Saunders, M.N.K. (2021) 'Putting the System back into Training and Firm Performance Research: A Review and Research'. Human Resource Management Journal.
- Piaskowska, D., Tippmann, E., Monaghan, S. (2021) 'Scale-up modes: Profiling activity configurations in scaling strategies'. Long Range Planning, .
- Jonathan Levie and Samuel Mwaura (2021) 'What Does GEM Say About Minority Entrepreneurship?' In: Thomas M. Cooney(Eds.). The Palgrave Handbook of Minority Entrepreneurship. Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Stendahl, E.; Schriber, S.; Tippmann, E. (2021) 'Control Changes in Multinational Corporations: Adjusting Control Approaches in Practice'. Journal Of International Business Studies, .
- Reuber, R. A.; Tippmann, E.; Monaghan, S. (2021) 'Global scaling as a logic of multinationalization'. Journal Of International Business Studies.
- Britton, E., Domegan, C. and McHugh, P. (2021) 'Accelerating Sustainable Ocean Policy: The Dynamics of Multiple Stakeholder Priorities and Actions'. Marine Policy.
- Garcia-Soto, C., Seys, J.C., Zielinski,O., Busch, J. A., Luna, S. I., Baez, J.C., Domegan, C., Dubsky, K., Kotynska-Zielinska, I., Loubat, P., Malfatti, F., Mannaerts, G., McHugh, P., Monestiez, P. , van der Meeren G.I. and Gorsky G. (2021) 'Marine Citizen Science: Current State in Europe and New Technological Developments'. Frontiers in Marine Science, .
- Wallace, E,Buil, I (2021) 'A typology of conspicuous donation on Facebook'. Journal Of Services Marketing, .
- Wallace, E,Buil, I (2021) 'Hiding Instagram Likes: effects on negative affect and loneliness'. Personality And Individual Differences, 170 (February).
- Wallace, E.; Torres, P.; Augusto, M.; Stefuryn, M. (2021) 'Do brand relationships on social media motivate young consumers value co-creation and willingness to pay? The role of brand love'. Journal Of Product And Brand Management.
- Elaine Wallace (2021) Do our social media likes reflect what we do and think offline?. Media
Business Information Systems
- Islam, Najmul A.K.M, Whelan, Eoin, Brooks, Stoney. (2021) 'Does Multitasking Computer Self-Efficacy Mitigate the Impact of Social Media Affordances on Overload and Fatigue among Professionals'. Information Technology & People, ABS3.
- Whelan, E; Laato, S; Islam, N; BillIeux, J (2021) 'A Casino in my Pocket: Gratifications Associated with Obsessive and Harmonious Passion for Mobile Gambling'. Plos One, 16 (2).
- Gerster, D., vom Brocke, J., Conboy, K., Dremel, Ch., Mayer, R. (2021) 'Managing Time Complexity: The Cases of Fujitsus World Record and Four Fortune 500 Companies'. Mis Quarterly Executive, .
- Noel Carroll, Liam ӠMn, Dave Garrett, Arjun Jamnadass. (2021) 'The Importance of Citizen Development for Digital Transformation' Cutter Business Technology Journal, 34 (3):5-9.
- Griva, A., Bardaki C., Pramatari K., Doukidis G. (2021) 'Factors Affecting Customer Analytics: Evidence from Three Retail Cases'. Information Systems Frontiers, :1-24.
- Carroll, N. (2021) Augmented Intelligence: An Actor-Network Theory Perspective 29th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2021) Marrakech, Morocco,
- Aalbers, R; Whelan, E. (2021) 'Implementing Digitally Enabled Collaborative Innovation: A Case Study of Online and Offline Interaction in the German Automotive Industry'. Creativity and Innovation Management, In Press.
- Lang, M. (2021) Assessing Database Development Skills using an On-line MCQ: Reflections on Test Design and Academic Integrity International Conference on Higher Education Advances (HEAd21) 22/06/2021- 23/06/2021
- Lang, M., Freeman, M., Kiely, G., & Woszczynsk, A. (2021) 'On the Challenges and Opportunities of Equality and Diversity in IS Education'. Journal Of Information Systems Education, .
- Lang, M. (2021) Using Data Analytics to Detect Possible Collusion in a Multiple Choice Quiz Test Proc. IFIP Conference on e-Business, e-Services, and e-Society (I3E2021) Galway, Ireland, 01/09/2021- 03/09/2021
- Edison, H.; Wang, X.; Conboy, K. (2021) 'Comparing Methods for Large-Scale Agile Software Development: A Systematic Literature Review'. Ieee Transactions On Software Engineering, .
- Zamani, E., Griva, A., Spanaki K., ORaghallaigh P., Sammon D. (2021) 'Making sense of Business Analytics in project selection and prioritisation: Insights from the start-up trenches'. Information Technology & People, .
- Griva, A., Byrne, S., Dennehy, D., Conboy, K. (2021) 'Software Requirements Quality: Using Analytics to Challenge Assumptions at Intel'. Ieee Software, .
- Conboy, K. (2021) 'Enabling Promethean Leaps: An Examination of Storytelling Techniques in Information Systems Development Techniques in Information Systems Development'. Communications Of The Ais, .
- Conboy, K; Gleasure, R.; Morgan, L. (2021) 'When Crowds Play God: A Promethean Perspective on Crowdfunding'. European Journal Of Information Systems, .
- Kreps, DGP (2021) 'Theorizing Digital Experience: Four Aspects of the Infomaterial' In: Hassan N.R., Willcocks L.P(Eds.). Advancing Information Systems Theories. Cham : Palgrave Macmillan
J.E. Cairnes Research Newsletters
Issue 1 The first issue features Elaine Wallace’s forthcoming publication in the Journal of Business Ethics, a Financial Times Top 50 journal. Congratulations to Elaine on this success.
Issue 2 This issue features a paper published by Jason Harold and John Cullinan in Energy Economics, a journal that is ranked in the top 5% of economics journals on IDEAS/REPEC, and is an ABS 3 rated journal. Jason is a PostDoc in Economics and will start a Lectureship in the Discipline in September. Our congratulations to Jason and John on this publication success.
Issue 3 This issue features Emer Mulligan’s recent IRC Coalesce funding award. This project will investigate the effective adoption of digital technologies in tax administrations. Congratulations to Emer and her co-PI Dr. Adegboyega Ojo (Insight Centre for Data Analytics).
Issue 5 This issue features Prof. Jonathan Levie’s forthcoming publication in European Management Review, a 3 star ABS journal. The study considers the effect of spatially concentrated deprivation on gender differences in nascent entrepreneurial activity.
Issue 6 This issue features Prof. Esther Tippmann’s forthcoming publication in the Journal of International Business Studies, a FT50 and 4* ABS ranked journal. This conceptual paper advances the Johanson and Vahlne internationalisation process of the firm model by considering how technological affordances affect the internationalisation of born digitals.
Research CentresAt J.E Cairnes School of Business & Economics, our research strategy is to build on our well-established expertise in the advancement of business and management practice, while broadening our scope to develop new and existing areas of high impact research within the business and management canon. In doing so, we will become known for research that informs business practice and policy, both nationally and internationally, and which leads to School staff being regarded as global thought-leaders in their fields.
PhD Scholarships 2021-22
PhD Scholarships 2021-22
PhD Scholarships 2021-22
Business Postgraduate Programmes 2021 - 2022 PDF (4.7 MB)
Postgraduate Taught Prospectus 2021 PDF (11.3MB)
Business Undergraduate Prospectus 2021-22 PDF (1.57MB)
Undergraduate Prospectus 2021 PDF (9.63MB)
Quick Guide to Courses 2021 PDF (2.4 MB)
A Level Quick Guide 2021 PDF (2 MB)
CAO Brochure PDF (1.3 MB)
QQI / FETAC Pathways Guide PDF (45MB)
Professional Accounting Body Exemptions PDF (8 KB)
Leading Business Alumni Book PDF (1.57)
Quick Guide to Courses 2021 PDF (2.4 MB)