Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Nursing: Advanced Practice Midwifery (MSc)
The aim of the Master of Science in Midwifery (Advanced Practice Midwifery) programme is to enable experienced registered midwives to develop an expert knowledge base, to utilise advanced skills and abilities in clinical decision making, and clinical competencies for an expanded autonomous scope of practice the characteristics of which are shaped by the: context in which the individual practices; the needs of women; and the challenges and developments within the health services.
Applications and Selections
Applications are made online via the NUI Galway Postgraduate Applications System.
Who Teaches this Course
- Dr Linda Biesty
- Catherine Meagher
- Dr Maura Dowling
- Dr Catherine Houghton
- Dr Fionnuala Jordan
- Professor John Kelly
- Professor Perter Cantillon
- Dr Heike Smith Helzman
Requirements and Assessment
Students are assessed using a variety of methodologies including MCQ, OSCE, Assignment, Portfolio, Case Study.
For midwives seeking admission to the MSc in Midwifery (Advanced Practice Midwifery), applicants are required to:
- Have a minimum of an honours primary degree in midwifery or equivalent
- Hold current active registration on the midwives division of the professional register maintained by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI)
- Comply with current minimum entry requirements for admission to the programme of education for midwife prescribing, and must have three years’ recent post-registration clinical experience in nursing/midwifery (this must be within the past five years) with the equivalent of ‘one year’ full time experience in the specific area of clinical practice.
- A copy of current NMBI registrations (e.g. RGN, RM, RNP, RNID, RPN, PHN, RCN as required) (NMBI 2017 & 2018).
- Evidence of academic achievements including copies of all academic transcripts from completed educational courses.
- Copies of official awards (parchments) from completed educational courses.
- Evidence of current clinical specialist area.
- A completed Site Declaration Form signed by the Director of Midwifery and Medical Mentor.
Provide evidence of support from an employer and completed Site Declaration Forms containing confirmation of a clinical supervisor who will provide supervision, support and learning opportunities, including shadowing opportunities to gain the required competencies and clinical competence to practice at an advanced level in midwifery (including midwife prescribing).
2 years, part-time
Next start date
A Level Grades ()
QQI/FET FETAC Entry Routes
Please view the offer rounds website.
Mode of study
- Decision Making, and Advanced Practice Professional Roles
- Leadership, Quality Improvement and Governance
- Advanced Research Methods for Healthcare Professionals
- Advanced Health Assessment Pharmacology and Medicinal Prescribing
- Professional, Ethical & Legal Issues of Nurse and Midwife Prescribing
- Clinical Practicum
Why Choose This Course?
Students who successfully complete this programme are eligible to register as an Advanced Midwife Practitioner (RAMP) with NMBI.
Who’s Suited to This Course
Transferable Skills Employers Value
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
Find out More
Dr Linda Biesty
T: +353 91 492 998