Festival Season at NUI Galway
Friday, 6 July 2012
As part of the Galway Fringe Festival running from 12-30 July, NUI Galway will host eight plays, two literary events, plus music, dance and exhibitions.
All the shows will take place in the new Cube Theatre, Áras na Mac Léinn, NUI Galway. Wildebeest Theatre Company will perform ‘Tan’, while Youth Work Ireland are performing their black comedy ‘Banged Up Broads’. Galway Actors Workshop will perform ‘The Heroism Hotline’ and Floating World Productions will present ‘Saol’.
NUI Galway Students and Staff will also present a series of new original works. Ríona Hughes will perform the comic one woman show ‘Ballyganruaile’ and Dramsoc presents ‘Rewind’. There are also a series of plays written or directed by recent NUI Galway graduates of Drama. The Cube Triple Bill featuring award winning playwright Paddy O’Byrne’s ‘Ahhh Lad!’. Other plays to feature include ‘The Thee Women’, ‘Cathleen Ní Houlihan 2, and ‘The Berlin Decision’ by Shaun Leonard. New writing is also featured in ‘Girl Uninterrupted’ by Eve O’Mahony and a rehearsed reading of ‘Life Security’ by Drew Dunlop.
Award winning Cúirt poetry slam winner Shaun Leonard is hosting four nights of poetry and music with guests including former All-Ireland Slam winner Miceál Kearney, comedian Steve Bennett and poets Kevin Higgins, Anne Irwin and Nicholas Fitzgerald. Children are catered for with a production of Truth Fairy and ‘Do you Speak Mermish’, a multi Sensory drop in room creating an undersea experience to stimulate the senses and imagination.
Tickets are from €3-€12 and can be purchased at the SocsBox, NUI Galway, or at the Fringe Festival Box Office on Frances Street or on line at www.galwayfringe.com.
For more information on all the on campus events call 091 492852 or check out www.festivals.nuigalway.ie and follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Shows and times as follows:
- ‘Tan’: 12-14 July at 8pm
- ‘Banged Up Broads’: 19 July 8.30pm and 20 July at 6.30pm
- ‘The Heroism Hotline’: 28 and 29 July at 5.30pm
- ‘Saol’: 19 July at 6pm
- Ballyganruaile’: 23–26 July at6pm, and 27 July at 8.30pm
- ‘Rewind’: 26, 28 and 29 July at 8.30pm, and 27 July at 6pm
- ‘Ahhh Lad!’: 22-25 July at 8.30pm
- ‘The Thee Women’: 22–25 July at 8.30pm
- ‘Cathleen Ní Houlihan 2’: 22–25 July at 8.30pm
- and ‘The Berlin Decision’: 22–25 July at 8.30pm
- Shaun Leonard poetry nights: 15-18 July at 7pm
- ‘Truth Fairy’: 28-29 July at 12.30pm
- ‘Do you Speak Mermish’: 24-29 July from 11am–3pm
Author: Marketing and Communications Office, NUI Galway