Learn about NUI Galway
|About the University|
With over 17,000 students and more than 2,400 staff, NUI Galway has a distinguished reputation for teaching and research excellence.
NUI Galway has earned national and international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top-quality teaching.
Our campus is in the middle of a €400 million expansion programme. With over 90 buildings on 105 hectares of land, the University is right in the heart of Galway city.
|How We're Unique|
At NUI Galway, we have a strong commitment to the Irish language. Volunteering and community outreach also play a strong role in academic life.
|The Irish Language|
The language has a unique position in the University, predominantly due to its proximity to the Connemara Gaeltacht - one of several Irish-speaking regions in Ireland.
From Queen's College to National University of Ireland, the University's past is intertwined with the history of Galway and Ireland.
Read a message from President Browne.
NUI Galway has over:
- 17,000 students.
- 2,000 international students from 92 countries.
- 2,400 staff members.
- 120 links with universities across the globe.
- 90,000 alumni in 107 countries.
- 165 years experience of providing university education.
NUI Galway is:
- Ireland's top University for student retention - Sunday Times 2011.
- Irelands's top University for graduate employability with 96% of our graduates employed or in further study within six months of graduating.
- the largest and oldest university in the west of Ireland.
NUI Galway is world leading for research in:
- Biomedical Science and Engineering
- Web Science
- Human Rights
- Marine Science, Energy and Environmental Science
- Applied Social Sciences and Public Policy
Humanities, in particular literature, Theatre and Irish Studies
NUI Galway was awarded a QS Five Stars Rating in 2012