Finanical support - grants, entrance scholarships, postgraduate scholarships, financial supports
See the financial supports that are available to you.
What are they?
Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) is the single awarding authority for all grant applications since 2012/13. All new 2013/14 entrants should apply to SUSI - applications are now open (May 2013).
SUSI is an "online application system" and is accessed at SUSI
Full updated list here.
Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships
Please see our Admissions Office website for up to date details on scholarships for 2013/14.
(1) Excellence Scholarships: There is no requirement on your part to apply for these. The Scholarship is awarded automatically once a student has registered at NUI Galway. The Scholarship is awarded automatically to qualifying registered students.
(2) James Massey Keegan Scholarship: For competition among Mayo students. There is no requirement on your part to apply for this. The Scholarship is awarded automatically to qualifying registered students.
(3) Roinn Oideachais Scholarships. Applications can be made directly to the Department of Education & Skills.
(4) Sports Scholarships - Applications can be made directly to the Sports Office, NUIG Galway.
(5) Helen M. Moran Scholarships.
NUI Galway awards a limited number of College scholarships to help postgraduate students who are proceeding full-time to a postgraduate degree (by research) at NUI Galway.
Contact the relevant College Office for details on fellowships in your area. Academic departments may also be able to offer other sources of funding for their courses.
Student Aid Fund: 2013/14
Students with financial difficulties are advised to contact our Student Services Office for advice on how to apply for financial support. Please note it is important that all fee accounts are paid when due. Reminders will normally be issued but it is the obligation of each student to ensure timely payment of fees. All registered students have live access to their fee accounts at all times.
Tax Relief on Tuition: 2013/14
For detail of tax relief on tuition see Revenue (Irish Tax & Customs).
Taught masters scholarship scheme for first-class students
Some courses have specific scholarships associated (follow links for more details):
- MA (Conference Interpreting)—our students have had good success with being awarded an EU bursary for this programme
- MA (Film Studies)—Pat Sheeran scholarship
- MA (Gender, Globalisation and Rights)
- Masters Irish taught programmes—Colm Ó hEocha Bursary
- MA (Irish Studies)—Tadhg Foley Fellowship
- MSc (Preventive Cardiology)—Croí Bursaries on offer
Universities Ireland North/South Postgraduate Scholarships 2014
Details of the 2014 scheme will be posted here when available. Download North South Scholarships Flyer here, which gives full details of last year's essential entry criteria and application information.
Please visit the International Office website for full details on NUI Galway's postgraduate scholarships for international students.
Postgraduate Research Funding
Funding opportunities available from NUI Galway
Information on financial support for further and higher education can also be viewed on the Higher Education Authority website studentfinance.ie
Funding opportunities available through external sources:
Irish Research Council:
Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarships: next call expected to launch November 2013
Enterprise Partnership Scheme: next call expected to launch October 2013
This information is intended as a guide only. Other funding may also be available through research grants to supervisors. Please check with your potential supervisor for these possibilities.
Find a Course
T 353 (0)91 52441 ext 2905, 2069, 5307, or 2386