Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Research & Innovation
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Computer Science—Data Analytics (MSc, full-time or part-time)
Almost everything we do results in data being created and stored somewhere. Individuals, communities, business and governments face major challenges in harnessing all this data to create knowledge that will underpin a healthier, safer, more productive world. There is an acute global shortage of talent and expertise in Data Analytics and Data Science. Due to the strong demand for these graduates and the leading edge quality of this particular programme, annual demand for places on the programme is extremely competitive.
This is an advanced MSc programme that is delivered full-time over one year, and provides graduates of Computer Science and closely related areas with in-depth knowledge and skills in the emerging growth area of Data Analytics and Data Science. The MSc in Data Analytics is delivered by a team of highly respected academics based in NUI Galway that are considered international experts in their respective fields. Some of the topic areas include large-scale data analytics, advanced data-mining and machine learning, deep learning, information retrieval, natural language processing, data visualisation, web mining, linked-data analytics, simulation and modelling, and digital image processing.
This programme is aimed at graduates with a primary qualification in Computer Science or related subject area. It is not a conversion course, and students are expected to be already at a very high technical standard with regard to the technical elements of their computing background.
In addition to completing a range of advanced modules, students will then reinforce their newly gained skills through a 30-credit project that is completed during the summer and evaluated through a thesis (minor dissertation) format. For these projects, students work directly with an academic supervisor in their chosen area of specialisation, while they also can pursue the opportunity to collaborate with a research groups across NUI Galway or with an industry partner.
The School of Computer Science, Advanced MSc Scholarship
NUI Galway, School of Computer Science is offering one Scholarship for the MSc in Computer Science (Data Analytics) or MSc Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) commencing September 2020; this scholarship, up to the value of the tuition fees, is awarded to the highest ranked graduate of the BSc Computer Science & IT undergraduate programme (GY350). This is open to all current final year students due to graduate in 2020, and all previous graduates of the programme.
For more information on the scholarship application process, please contact Dr. Enda Howley, School of Computer Science, NUI Galway firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that to be considered for this merit based scholarship, applicants must first apply and be accepted to their chosen programme. They will subsequently, be required to complete a separate scholarship application form.
Find out about our Postgraduate Scholarships here.
Applications and Selections
Applications are made online via the NUI Galway Postgraduate Applications System.
- A personal statement
- A CV
- University Degree Transcripts
- Two references
- IELTS/TOEFL certificate—only if English is not your mother tongue
What is not required (please do not submit these)
- secondary school certificates
- training certificates
- membership certificates
Who Teaches this Course
Dr Enda Barrett
Electrical & Electronic Eng
Dept. of Information Technology
Requirements and Assessment
Prior Qualification: this MSc is targeted at high-performing graduates of Level 8 (or equivalent) computer science programmes, or Level 8 (or equivalent) science/ engineering programmes that offer sufficient training in computing. The minimum academic requirement for entry to the programme is a First Class Honours (or equivalent) from a recognised university or third-level college. However, a good Second Class Honours (or equivalent) can be deemed sufficient on the recommendation of the Programme Director.
1 year, full-time
Next start date
A Level Grades ()
Please refer to the offer rounds/closing date webpage.
Mode of study
The MSc is a 90-ECTS course with three main elements: core modules (40 ECTS), optional modules (20 ECTS), and a substantial capstone thesis project (30 ECTS).
Core modules include: Programming for Data Analytics; Introduction to Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning and Data Mining; Data Visualisation, Deep Learning, Web and Network Science, Information Retrieval and Case Studies in Data Analytics.
Optional modules include: Modules in Statistics and Probability, Advanced Natural Language Processing; System Modelling & Simulation; Embedded Image Processing; Linked Data, Tools and Techniques for Large Scale Data Analytics.
From Semester 2 onwards, students work on individual projects and submit them in August. Projects may have a research or applied focus.
- This is a distinctive programme that is closely aligned to the research and teaching expertise of the School of Computer Science and the Digital Science Institute in NUI Galway.
- Graduates of this programme are waived a year from their studies on the NUI Galway Structured PhD Programme in Computer Science to reflect their completion of advanced computing modules through the MSc Data Analytics.
- Demand for graduates from this programme in industry is very strong both locally, nationally and internationally.
- Due to the nature of this programme, it is seen as the almost perfect preparation and route into a PhD in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence or Data Analytics/Science. Graduates from this programme have been hugely successful in pursuing highly prestigious and competitive PhD Scholarships as a result of their MSc Data Analytics qualifications. Many of these graduates can then pursue careers in research and development, academia and a host of consulting and leading industry roles.
Why Choose This Course?
Data analytics skills are required in every industry. Graduates will be excellently qualified to pursue exciting careers in national and multinational industries in a wide range of areas. Our graduates currently work for companies as diverse as IBM, SAP, Cisco, Avaya, Google, Fujitsu, Accenture, Paddypower.com, Merck Pharmaceuticals as well as many specialised companies and start-ups.
- The development of innovative new services and products based on data analytics
- The development of new types of data analysis services and solutions
- The creation of leading-edge start-ups that provide analytics solutions and products.
- PhD-level research in NUI Galway, elsewhere in Ireland, or abroad
A Career in Data Analytics?
- Accenture, Gartner and McKinsey have all identified Data Analytics as one of the fastest growing employment areas in computing and one most likely to make an impact in the future.
- The Irish Government’s policy is for Ireland to become a leading country in Europe for big data and analytics, which would result in 21,000 potential new employment opportunities in Ireland alone.
- CNN has listed jobs in this area in their Top 10 best new jobs in America.
Find out about our Postgraduate Scholarships here.
Who’s Suited to This Course
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
Information on International Scholarships is available here.
For EU students only 2019/20
1CSD1 full time EU €7,215;
Find out More
T: +353 91 493 143