Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
Research & Innovation
Research & Innovation
NUI Galway’s vibrant research community take on some of the most pressing challenges of our times.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
iKT Resource Kit
This resource kit is designed for researchers, policy makers, and practitioners who are interested in moving evidence into health practice. It highlights Irish and international resources which might be useful in understanding and evaluating evidence and planning for knowledge translation and implementation. These resources may be helpful when designing a new intervention, programme, policy or service change for implementation into practice.
- Centre for Effective Services http://www.effectiveservices.org/
- National Clinical Effectiveness Committee, National Patient Safety Office, Department of Health https://health.gov.ie/national-patient-safety-office/ncec/
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools (Canada) https://www.nccmt.ca/
- Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario (Canada) https://rnao.ca/bpg/implementation-resources
- Diploma in Implementation Science, University College Dublin https://www.tcd.ie/courses/postgraduate/az/course.php?id=DPCMD-ISCI-1P09
- Knowledge Translation E-learning Modules x 2 (Dr Melanie Barwick, SickKids) (Canada):
- Introduction to Knowledge Translation http://www.melaniebarwick.com/modules/Introduction-KT/story_html5.html
- How to Prepare a Knowledge Translation Plan http://www.melaniebarwick.com/modules/How-to-Prepare-KT-Plan/story_html5.html
- Evidence-Informed Decision Making E-learning Modules (National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools Learning Centre) (Canada) https://www.nccmt.ca/learningcentre/EN/index.php
- Certificate in Knowledge Mobilisation, University of Guelph (Canada) https://courses.opened.uoguelph.ca/public/category/courseCategoryCertificateProfile.do?method=load&certificateId=453705
Irish iKT Funding
- Health Research Board Applied Partnership Awards https://www.hrb.ie/funding
- Health Research Board Medical Research Charities Group/Health Research Board Joint Funding Scheme http://www.hrb.ie/funding/funding-schemes/all-funding-schemes/grant/mrcghrb-joint-funding-scheme-2018/
- National Clinical Guidelines (National Patient Safety Office, Department of Health) https://health.gov.ie/national-patient-safety-office/ncec/national-clinical-guidelines/
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Guidelines (U.K) https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance
- Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario Clinical Guidelines (Canada) https://rnao.ca/bpg/guidelines/clinical-guidelines
Clinical Guideline Development and Implementation
- Appraisal of Guidelines for Research and Evaluation II (AGREE II) Instrument (The AGREE Next Steps Consortium) https://www.agreetrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/AGREE-II-Users-Manual-and-23-item-Instrument-2009-Update-2017.pdf
- Brouwers, M., Kho, M.E., Browman, G.P., Burgers, J.S., Cluzeau, F., Feder, G., Fervers, B., Graham, I.D., Grimshaw, J., Hanna, S., Littlejohns, P., Makarski, J., Zitzelsberger, L. for the AGREE Next Steps Consortium. (2010). AGREE II: Advancing guideline development, reporting and evaluation in healthcare. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 182(18), e839-e842. http://www.cmaj.ca/content/182/10/E472.abstract
- National Clinical Effectiveness Committee (2018). Implementation Guide and Toolkit for National Clinical Guidelines. Dublin: Department of Health. https://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/NCEC-Implementation-Guide-2018.pdf
- Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario. (2012). Toolkit: Implementation of Best Practice Guidelines (2nd ed.). Toronto, ON: Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario. https://rnao.ca/sites/rnao-ca/files/RNAO_ToolKit_2012_rev4_FA.pdf
How to Find Research Evidence
- Cochrane Library Training Hub https://www.cochranelibrary.com/help/training
- Health-evidence.ca. (2009, November 25). Developing an Efficient Search Strategy. (Canada) https://www.healthevidence.org/practice-tools.aspx
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools (2013). Search Pyramids. Hamilton, ON: National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools (Canada) https://www.nccmt.ca/knowledge-repositories/search/181
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools (2017). Health Systems Evidence: A tool for finding and using research evidence (Canada) http://www.nccmt.ca/knowledge-repositories/search/309
Searchable Health Research Databases
- Cochrane Library https://www.cochranelibrary.com
- Health EvidenceTM https://healthevidence.org/
- Health Systems Evidence https://www.healthsystemsevidence.org/?lang=en
- Lenus, the Irish Health Repository https://www.lenus.ie/hse
- PubMed https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
- McMaster Plus https://plus.mcmaster.ca/mcmasterplusdb/
- McMaster Optimal Aging Portal https://www.mcmasteroptimalaging.org/
- The Campbell Collaboration Online Library https://campbellcollaboration.org/library.html
Tools for Assessing the Quality of Research Evidence
- Critical Appraisal Skills Programme Checklists https://casp-uk.net/casp-tools-checklists/
- Tools to Assess the Quality of Systematic Reviews: AMSTAR https://amstar.ca/Amstar_Checklist.php
Summarising and Reporting Research Evidence
- Dobbins, M. (2017). Rapid Review Guidebook. Hamilton, ON: National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools http://www.nccmt.ca/capacity-development/rapid-review-guidebook
- Health-Evidence.ca (2009). Briefing Note: Decisions, Rationale and Key Findings Summary. https://www.healthevidence.org/practice-tools.aspx#PT6
- Lavis, J.N., Permanand, G., Oxman, A.D., Lewin, S. & Fretheim, A. (2009). SUPPORT Tools for evidence-informed health Policymaking (STP) 13: Preparing and using policy briefs to support evidence-informed policymaking. Health Research Policy and Systems, 7(Suppl 1): S13. doi: 10.1186/1478-4505-7-S1-S13. https://health-policy-systems.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1478-4505-7-S1-S13
Assessing the Applicability and Transferability of a Programme
- Buffet, C., Ciliska, D., & Thomas, H. (2011). Will it work here? Tool for Assessing Applicability and Transferability of Evidence (Version A: When considering starting a new program.). Hamilton, ON: National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools.
- Buffet, C., Ciliska, D., & Thomas, H. (2011). It worked there. Will it work here? Tool for Assessing Applicability and Transferability of Evidence (B: When considering stopping an existing program.). Hamilton, ON: National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools.
Knowledge Translation Toolkits & Registries
- Knowledge Mobilization (KMb) Toolkit (Ontario Centre of Excellence for Child and Youth Mental Health) (Canada) http://www.kmbtoolkit.ca/
- Impact Toolkit (Economic and Social Research Council) (U.K.) https://esrc.ukri.org/research/impact-toolkit/what-is-impact/
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools Registry of Methods and Tools for Knowledge Translation (Canada) https://www.nccmt.ca/knowledge-repositories/search
- Communicating your Research – A Toolkit (The Health Foundation) (U.K.) https://www.health.org.uk/collection/communications-health-research-toolkit
- Knowledge Translation Program – KT Resources (Canada) https://knowledgetranslation.net/kt-tools/
Planning for Knowledge Translation
- Doing, supporting and using public health research: The Public Health England strategy for research, translation and innovation (Public Health England)
- Innovation to Implementation: A Practical Guide to Knowledge Translation in Healthcare (Mental Health Commission Canada) https://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/sites/default/files/2016-06/innovation_to_implementation_guide_eng_2016_0.pdf
- Knowledge Translation Planning Template (Dr Melanie Barwick) http://www.melaniebarwick.com/KTTemplateFillable_dl.php
- The Health Communication Unit (2009). Online Health Program Planner 2.0. Toronto, ON: The Health Communication Unit, Public Health Ontario & National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools. https://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/ServicesAndTools/ohpp/Pages/default.aspx
- Reardon, R., Lavis, J., & Gibson, J. (2006). From research to practice: A knowledge transfer planning guide. https://www.iwh.on.ca/sites/iwh/files/iwh/tools/iwh_kte_planning_guide_2006b.pdf