Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
Research & Innovation
Research & Innovation
NUI Galway’s vibrant research community take on some of the most pressing challenges of our times.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Commerce with German
- The Bachelor of Commerce (International with German) degree is a four year internationally recognised undergraduate programme which develops students’ Business and German Language skills.
- Graduates of this programme not only have a great business qualification but also an international language. This international experience and qualification is highly sought after in today’s competitive global job market.
- The large range of subjects in the first two years of the programme give students a broad knowledge of business and allows them to decide which area of business is best for them.
- In third year, students spend a year abroad studying modules in languages and business at an approved university. Students have the opportunity to study abroad at some of the world’s most elite universities and business schools, and gain an alternative perspective on education in another country. The international year provides students with the opportunity to experience a new culture and build a network of global connections. You will also develop your cross-cultural awareness and communication skills.
Applications and Selections
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
Minimum Grade H5 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at O6/H7 level in the Leaving Certificate, including Irish, English, another language, Mathematics, and any two other subjects recognised for entry purposes.
For A-Levels - Grade C in German
Next start date
A Level Grades (2021)
QQI/FET FETAC Entry Routes
Mode of study
• Principles of Microeconomics/ Macroeconomics
• Introduction to Management Accounting/ Financial Accounting
• Business Information Systems • Information Management for Business
• Mathematics and Statistics for Business
• Foundations of Marketing Thought
• Management and Enterprise
• Inferential Statistical Methods for Business
• Marketing Management
• Applied Microeconomics for Business
• Management Accounting I
• Organisational Psychology
• Business Finance I or Employment Relations
• Macroeconomics and the Business
• Environment or Business Law I Plus one optional module from the following: · Accounting · Economics · Management · Marketing · Statistics · Business Information Systems
• Students follow modules in languages and business studies at a university in Germany or Austria
• Ireland in the Global Economy
• Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility
• Business Strategy • Innovation, Creativity and Enterprise
• German • Plus the opportunity to choose modules from the following areas: · Accounting and Performance Measurement · Economics and Public Policy · Human Resource Management · Digital Business and Analytics · Marketing Management · Finance · Business Law · International Business · Entrepreneurship
Graduates can also go on to select from a range of postgraduate programmes in their chosen discipline at the J.E. Cairnes School of Business and Economics.
Why Choose This Course?
Graduates of the B Comm (International) at the J.E. Cairnes School of Business & Economics are highly successful and sought after in all areas of Business. Graduates go on to work in a variety of careers including
- EU institutions such as The European Central Bank, The Diplomatic Service and The European Parliament
- Accounting - both professional practice and industry.
- Management Consultancy
- Commercial Advisory Services
- Economic Policy Advisory Services
- Human Resource Management
- Information Systems Management
- Finance (including Banking & Insurance)
- Information Systems Management
Graduates with a degree in German also often work as teachers—at primary, secondary and third level, and in private language colleges—or they find employment in areas such as journalism, television, radio, media, arts administration, interpreting, technical translation, multilingual secretarial and reception work, tourism and the diplomatic service.
Graduates with good language skills are in demand by local, national and multinational businesses.
Why Study German?
- German is the native language of about 100 million people, and 38% of all Europeans speak German in Austria, Switzerland and elsewhere Germany is the most important trading partner for almost all European and many non-European countries.
- Speaking German is key to success in the job market—in Ireland, Germany and the European Union.
- When you graduate you will have acquired a high level of proficiency in German and a deep understanding of the culture and history of Germany.
Students studying German spend one year studying at one of NUI Galway’s partner universities in Germany or Austrian. The year abroad allows students to reach a high degree of fluency in German and to enjoy valuable intercultural experiences.
Click here to see where your Commerce degree can take you in the world!
Who’s Suited to This Course
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student Contribution
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
*EU Fees are comprised of Tuition + Student Contribution Charge + Student Levy
Student Levy: €140 - payable by all students and is not covered by SUSI. Further detail here https://su.nuigalway.ie/
Find out More
J.E. Cairnes School of Business & Economics
T + 353 (0)91 492 612
F + 353 (0)91 494 546
What Our Students Say
Sarah Whelan | HR Generalist at Arup Engineering Consultants
...I chose the B Comm International with German at NUI Galway. Being in a global business world also means that having a language other than English is very important. The B Comm International has definitely helped me develop my language and business skills. Along with learning all the important business terms in German, I also improved my writing and spelling skills in German. The course coordinator was fantastic. She gave us so much help and advice. All the lecturers were always very approachable and helpful...
Emma Cleere | Executive Hedge Fund Services at Citco Group Limited
Spending four years studying Commerce with German in NUIG was a decision which I will be forever grateful for. The course gives you a broad overview of Commerce in general while also giving you a full degree in business level German. In school, I had always struggled with German as a subject. However, I found studying German at college to be very different. Smaller interactive class sizes combined with dedicated lecturers greatly enhanced the learning experience. German, once my least favourite subject in school, ended up being one of the most enjoyable throughout college. I’d advise anyone who is looking for a versatile yet specialised degree in Commerce with a language to definitely consider studying Commerce International with German in NUIG.
Lorna Benson | Medical Accounts Executive at Chanelle
I decided to study Commerce International with German as I feel it is important to have a European language in today’s global business world. The course itself is very well structured in NUI Galway, allowing one to experience different aspects of Commerce in first year before branching into your chosen stream. Looking back, the German language was my favourite aspect of this course as I learned the skills necessary to allow me work comfortably through German on a day-to-day basis in my current career. The ERASMUS programme is one of my fondest memories from my time at NUI Galway. This year has complimented the knowledge from my degree and allowed me to gain invaluable experience. If you have a passion for Commerce I would highly recommend incorporating a European language in your degree. I believe having a European language significantly enhances your job prospects.
Commerce Virtual Open Day Playlist
AACSB - Global Accreditation
AACSB is the longest-serving global accrediting body for business schools, and the largest business education network connecting students, educators, and businesses worldwide