Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Bachelor of Arts (Global Languages)
This innovative and highly flexible Languages degree allows you to study two languages, with the possibility of taking another language at Beginner’s Level in the First year. Linguistics, Translation Studies and Media are embedded at all levels of the programme. Literature and culture modules will be available for those students who wish to pursue a teaching career so that they will fulfil the requirements of the Teaching Council.
Year 3 of the programme is a structured year abroad, involving study at partner institution(s) or a combination of study at a partner institution and work placement.
Students may take short introductory courses in Chinese and modules in Latin will also be available.
Applications and Selections
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
Next start date
A Level Grades (2018)
Mode of study
• Two languages in first year (one of which must be at post-Leaving Certificate level)
• Option to study a third language as a minor
• Minor in Global Language Studies: Modules in Skills for Learning Languages; Introduction to Translation; Written Words and Spoken Languages; and European Cinema.
• Two languages (minimum)
• Additional study options include minors in:
· A third language
· Global Language Studies (with modules on Linguistics, Translation in the World, Media and Technology for Language Learning);
• You will spend Year Three abroad studying or on a language assistantship.
• Two languages, with option to continue with a third, or continued specialisation in language related modules
NUI Galway has well-established offerings including:
Why Choose This Course?
Modern Languages graduates are extremely employable and develop successful careers in translation, international media, diplomatic services, advertising, multinational companies, EU institutions and teaching at all levels.
Graduates will have:
1. Excellent multilingual communication skills
2. Critical thinking and problem solving
3. Intercultural competency and cultural sensitivity
4. Critical and innovative thinking
Who’s Suited to This Course
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student Contribution
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
- Tuition: may be paid by the Irish Government on your behalf see - free fee initiative.
- Student Contribution: €3,000 - payable by all students but may by paid by SUSI if you apply and are deemed eligible for a means tested SUSI grant.
- Student Levy: €224 - payable by all students and is not covered by SUSI.
Find out More
Dr Máire Aine Mannion,
School of Languages